2 different yeasts in same brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerangedBrewer

Reaction score
Wyeast 1010 and US-05. Unfortunately never found time to make a starter and really want to brew today. Is it a crime against brewdom to pitch these two together. I really want to use the 1010 cause I probably won't brew anything that will use that yeast anytime soon.

Thanks!

It's not a crime to mix yeasts. Original forms of fermentation were mixes of all sorts of yeasts, bacteria and more. I like to experiment by mixing yeasts in my beers and wines to see which will dominate or balance each other out with different characteristics.

It really is good practice to make single yeast beers until you know what that yeast will bring to a brew, but after that it can be fun to introduce new yeasts into the mix and see what different results you end up with.

People blend yeasts to achieve flavor characteristics and garner greater attenuation properties all the time. It's normally done as a deliberate action with careful thought and planning, however I'm sure you're not the first person to do it out of necessity. As always, please post results.

Yup I've done this a few times, most of the time it's unintentional where I have a troubled fermentation or did not starter enough yeast. Just made a 10 gal saison that I wanted to make a 2 step starter but I didn't have enough time to let step 2 have enough time so I just pitched the 1.5 step starter + 1 rehydrated pack of belle saison dry yeast.

- ISM NRP

Well, so far, so.... nothing happening!

Pitched both yeasts around 4 hrs ago and expected immediate chaos. Even put a blow-off tube on.

Stay tuned! :)

UPDATE.... if anyone is interested.

My last post on this was 4 hours after pitching both yeasts and seeing no activity. The following morning it was on, 2" cap of krauzen and really cloudy. Well, now I'm approaching 2 weeks of primary fermentation and this morning prior to leaving work there was still a good inch and a half cap of krausen (you can see the line where it once was at it's peak height)and beer is still really cloudy.

Been fermenting between 59-62F.

I have no intentions on touching anything for at least another week before I take a hydro.

I'm sure I'm slightly worrying for no reason (my second brew ever, so don't have a large sample size to compare to....hence why I'm typing this ;) ). But is this "normal" to have a cap and apparent (visual) fermenting still going? Does the krauzen sometimes not fall when fermentation is done?

Like I said, I'm going to give it another week before I take a gravity reading. Hoping things settle out in that time.

Thanks for any advice/words of encouragement! :) :mug:

Latest posts

Back