Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > false bottom for direct-fired recirculation mash?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #21
AGBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
That's what I understand as well. If you try going dry, the threads bind before then can fully seat. The telflon tape lets you get a good extra full turn on the fittings to seal. Even if the teflon then burns up, it should be fine.

Like I mentioned, I'm using a ring burner with removable tips, I can have half moon of flame on each side of that pipe so I'd never have direct flame on the pipe anyway. Even so, as mentioned, only applying heat when the pump is running is a sure way to keep the pipe near your mash temp.
I did all of my pipe fittings(aside from the fuel) without teflon at all. I dipped them in vegetable oil and cranked them down tight. Not had a leak at all.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been contemplating how I'm going to be sure of a steady mash temp once I start using my Keg/MLT and get a pump. I really think the direct fired MLT is the simplest solution. My only concern is I currently have a Bazooka T Screen, so my grains would have direct contact with the bottom of the keg. If I try this this, I'd probably need to recirculate, and probably even still stir a few times while heating.

I thought it wasn't a good idea to disturb the grain bed much during the mash. Would stirring not be a good idea? Isn't recirculating still disturbing the grain bed?

**How do most people set up their return from the recirculation? Just let it pour back in through the inlet, or drape tube over the top? I figured I'd set up a QD for it eventually.

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #23
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Stirring during the mash is fine you just might want to let it settle a little bit before you run off. I bought over size folding false bottoms and ground them to fit. Here is a pic of my return line it goes inside to an elbow and has a silicon hose that lays on top of the grain bed it works great.
Pat

Old 10-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok so you just use a hose to bring it to the grain level. I guess it wouldn't really be a big deal even if the hose wasn't right on top of it. Thanks for the response.

That's a NICE rig you've got there! I'm working on polishing up and converting my sankes, to make a single tier. I'm sure I saw your rig in the sculpture thread, but can you post a link to addtl pics of it?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapa View Post
Ok so you just use a hose to bring it to the grain level. I guess it wouldn't really be a big deal even if the hose wasn't right on top of it. Thanks for the response.

That's a NICE rig you've got there! I'm working on polishing up and converting my sankes, to make a single tier. I'm sure I saw your rig in the sculpture thread, but can you post a link to addtl pics of it?
The hose is long enough to wrap around the keg so will work with 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Thanks there are two links on the bottom of this post.

Pat