Post Your Final Beer pH - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Post Your Final Beer pH

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
brewmeister13
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 529
Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts



I am interested in compiling finished beer pH. I am looking for beers that have finished fermenting and are degassed if they have been carbonated. KCBeersnob posted a lot of good info in another thread of mine and I will consolidate that information here as well.

WY1056:
  • Pale Ale-4.92
  • Rye IPA - 4.78
  • "Snow Cone" IPA - 4.83
  • Pale Ale - 4.54 (post boil pH 5.28)

WLP001:
  • American IPA - 5.00
  • Session IPA - 4.84
  • West Coast Blaster - 4.68-4.75 (Dependent on aeration level, but no to normal aeration, post-boil pH 5.15)
  • West Coast Blaster - 4.51 (aerated very highly, post-boil pH 5.15)
  • Black IPA - 4.63
  • Pale Ale - 4.80
  • American IPA - 4.89

WLP 004:
  • Dry Stout - 4.01 (post-boil pH 5.09)
  • Irish ale - 4.18 (post-boil pH was 5.15)
  • Oatmeal Stout - 4.51

WY1028:
  • Porter - 4.55

WY1968:
  • Oatmeal Stout - 4.43
  • Bitter - 4.10 (post-boil pH 5.30)
  • Amber Ale - 4.30 (post-boil pH 5.21)
  • Bitter - 4.06 (post-boil pH 5.30)
  • Strong Amber Ale - 4.30 (post-boil pH 5.05)
  • Bitter - 4.20 (post-boil pH 5.38)
  • Bitter Best - 4.30 (post-boil pH 5.15)

Brewlabs TV3 1000 (similar to WY1968):
  • Mild Ale - 4.05 (post-boil pH 5.15)
  • Bitter - 4.10 (post-boil pH 5.20)
  • Bitter - 4.00 (post boil pH 5.20)
  • Mild Ale - 4.15 (post boil pH 5.15)
  • Bitter - 4.12 (post boil pH 5.17)
  • Bitter - 4.12 (post boil pH 5.10)
  • Best Bitter - 4.07 (post boil pH 5.13)
  • Bitter - 4.17 (post boil pH 5.12)
  • Best Bitter - 4.10 (post boil pH 5.22)
  • Bitter - 3.95 (post boil pH 5.10)
  • Bitter - 4.03 (post boil pH 5.22)
  • Best Bitter - 4.20 (post boil pH 5.18)
  • Dark Mild - 4.15 (post boil pH 5.10)

WLP060:
  • IPA - 4.47 (post-boil 5.43)

WLP051:
  • American IPA - 4.61 (post-boil 5.35)



Reason: Adding info

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
kcbeersnob
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, Kansas
Posts: 173
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Good idea. Two things:

I think this data is most helpful if you also post the knockout pH, so it is possible to identify the extent to which the strain affects final beer pH. I initially got into this ongoing experiment, because I was finding my beers finished high when using 1056. Now I know this strain is a low acid producer that I need to make sure my knockout pH should ideally be <5.2, although I need to repeat the "experiment" to confirm.

I think it would be good to cross-link the threads for reference: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/fina...r-high-451395/



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
indianaroller
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmeister13 View Post
I am interested in compiling finished beer pH. I am looking for beers that have finished fermenting and are degassed if they have been carbonated. KCBeersnob posted a lot of good info in another thread of mine and I will consolidate that information here as well.



WY1056:
  • Pale Ale-4.92
  • Rye IPA - 4.78
  • "Snow Cone" IPA - 4.83
  • Pale Ale - 4.54



WLP001:
  • American IPA - 5.00
  • Session IPA - 4.84
  • West Coast Blaster - 4.68-4.75 (Dependent on aeration level, but no to normal aeration)
  • West Coast Blaster - 4.51 (aerated very highly)



WLP 004:
  • Irish Ale - 4.18
  • Dry Stout - 4.01
  • Oatmeal Stout - 4.51



WY1028:
  • Porter - 4.55



WY1968:
  • Oatmeal Stout - 4.43

What differences in the final beer are you detecting? (Taste, color, clarity, etc.)


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
brewmeister13
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 529
Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbeersnob View Post
Good idea. Two things:

I think this data is most helpful if you also post the knockout pH, so it is possible to identify the extent to which the strain affects final beer pH. I initially got into this ongoing experiment, because I was finding my beers finished high when using 1056. Now I know this strain is a low acid producer that I need to make sure my knockout pH should ideally be <5.2, although I need to repeat the "experiment" to confirm.

I think it would be good to cross-link the threads for reference: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/fina...r-high-451395/
Done, and thanks for linking the cross reference in both threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaroller View Post
What differences in the final beer are you detecting? (Taste, color, clarity, etc.)
I, personally, haven't been able to do a side by side test of the same beer with only different pH Levels (I lack phosphoric acid to adjust with). But if Gordon Strong can be trusted, it should affect the taste, he describes a correct pH beer as being brighter and fresher, and the stability of the beer.


I'm sure there are more of us that monitor this sort of thing. Help us out with all the data points you can. I'm interested in all yeast strains, types of beer, really anything you have.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
kcbeersnob
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, Kansas
Posts: 173
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


WLP060
IPA - 4.47 (post-boil 5.43)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
brewmeister13
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 529
Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts


Added, thanks KC. I also added a couple more of mine, plus another member contacted me and is going to email me his yeast spread sheet from the last 14 years he's been brewing! Big hat tip to Lincs for sharing his information.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
zwiller
Recipes 
 
Mar 2014
Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 371
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts


It would be really cool if there could be a standard reference for the wort so more accurate info could be had. IE starter using 1L distilled water @ 1.040, measure KO and post ferment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
brewmeister13
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 529
Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zwiller View Post
It would be really cool if there could be a standard reference for the wort so more accurate info could be had. IE starter using 1L distilled water @ 1.040, measure KO and post ferment.
Lot of other variables that go into it as well, dissolved oxygen levels, yeast nutrients available, ect., but if you ever do a controlled experiment I would be interested to see what you get.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
kcbeersnob
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, Kansas
Posts: 173
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Interesting results so far. Here's another one for you:

WLP051
American IPA: 4.61 (post-boil 5.35)

Very strange: the post-boil pH actually rose slightly compared to the pre-boil pH (5.32). The meter was freshly calibrated and then re-verified in the 4.01 solution after noticing the strange measurement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
kcbeersnob
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, Kansas
Posts: 173
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


WLP570
Belgian Golden Ale: 4.18 (post-boil 5.4)



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Affects Final Beer pH brewmeister13 Brew Science 9 01-18-2014 09:20 PM
Particles in final beer callisbeers All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 05-16-2012 10:27 PM
flakes in final beer chuckda4th All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 03-20-2012 07:42 PM
Hops in final beer, bad, ok, or what? SonicGT Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-10-2009 04:34 AM


Forum Jump