Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain Amber Ale Recipe

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
jbertsch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All-Grain Amber Ale Recipe

This is my first amber ale recipe. I want to create a darker amber with nutty, toasted (biscuit), carmel notes, slightly blackened, and subtly hopped with a floral and piney taste. I want this to be pretty dark but still have the composition of an amber which should be an easy drinking ale. My question is, will i get these flavors out of the recipe I created? Is there too much specialty grains? And am I using the right ones? Any help would be appreciated!

Program: BeerSmith

Grains:
10# 2-row pale malt
1# Victory
1# Munich
1# Caramel 120L (hoping for a little raisin flavor)
0.5# Roasted Barely
0.5# Carapils
0.25# Black Patent Malt

Hops:
0.5 oz Centennial @ 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial @ 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min

Yeast: Wyeast American Ale

Calculated:
ABV 6.7%
SRM 28
IBU 33

Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 195

With the 0.5 lb of roasted barley and another .25 of black patent I'd say you're going past brown toward porter range. I wouldn't use either of those, and instead go with something like a quarter lb of pale chocolate. That's still going to put you on the darker side of amber I think. For hops I don't expect you'll get pine from amarillo and centennial, you may want to throw in some chinook or simcoe late.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
JordanKnudson
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
With the 0.5 lb of roasted barley and another .25 of black patent I'd say you're going past brown toward porter range. I wouldn't use either of those, and instead go with something like a quarter lb of pale chocolate. That's still going to put you on the darker side of amber I think. For hops I don't expect you'll get pine from amarillo and centennial, you may want to throw in some chinook or simcoe late.
I second this. When I do an amber, I don't like to throw in much dark roasted malt, since in my mind the grain bill is all about the bready, toasty, aromatic-type malts. There's no problem with throwing in a small bit of roasted malt, but I am personally kind of stingy with them. You don't want to end up with a brown or a porter if you meant to make an amber.

Also, these hop choices are wonderful, but you won't get the pine notes that you are after (as chickypad mentioned). If you want that pine, go with the previous suggestion of some simcoe or chinook (I'd choose the former, personally). However, if you are willing to give up the piney element, these hop choices will still yield a great result as they stand currently.

I guess I'm basically just repeating what was already said, but let's say that I'm doing so for emphasis!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
jbertsch
Recipes 

Great advice guys! Thanks for the help. I altered my recipe (realizing how dark it would be) by lowering the roasted barley, taking out the black patent malt and carapils, while adding chocolate malt. I think i'm going to keep the hops schedule the same just because I know they are the ones I want to use.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
moreb33rplz
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think amber SRM range is like 12-18 ish.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
JordanKnudson
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreb33rplz View Post
I think amber SRM range is like 12-18 ish.
Well, taking into account the modifications he's making, he might end up with a dark amber or a light brown (or who knows, maybe it'll come out even darker), but I think that overall he's shooting for the right flavor profile, and ultimately that is more important.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Still, with both roasted barley and chocolate malt, you are going to end up with a beer significantly darker than an Amber. Especially since you also have a bunch of crystal 120 in there.

I recently did an Amber using Crystal 20 and 80. Then threw in just 4 oz. of chocolate malt. It ended up being a light brown instead of Amber.

So, unless you are ok with going pretty dark, you might want to adjust again.

Bottled - Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans - Kegged - BBD Belgian Malty Ale