Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Defining Cider

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Bobinniti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Take a look at this

The Beer Judge Certification Program has a downloadable PDF with the rules they use to define and judge. I think this will answer some questions you have on what is what.

http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php

Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Asgard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I've looked through those and while they make perfect sense for judged competitions (where you need narrow categories to be able to fairly judge) they don't answer what these other styles should be considered. If you look through that list you'll see nothing for ginger based or berry based.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I'm clearly in the minority here. Look it up: Cider is crushed fruit juice.
The US definition of cider, if I understand, differs from that used everywhere else in the world. I'm guessing it's because of some Prohibition-era marketing scheme. Cider here means unfiltered juice. Which is dumb. That's juice. Cider everywhere else means hard cider. And, I think, it usually means just apples, maybe some other fruits for accent, though I'd love to hear someone weigh in on that.

Prohibition sure f'ed up the American beverage scene for most of a century, didn't it?

Edit: Here we go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider#United_States

Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #14
WVMJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think you are talking about wines made from spices or wines made from berries. What is the difference between a peach wine made with all peach juice and what you would call a peach cider? WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I'm clearly in the minority here. Look it up: Cider is crushed fruit juice. Hard Cider is fermented crushed fruit juice. That seems like it should include wine but that's such a big group its treated separately. And the great thing about hard cider is that you can replace apple juice with basically any other juice and it works. All the nice tricks are the same. Why limit yourself just to apples?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #15
WVMJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Some of the English guy get pissy if you call perry anything that is not made specifically with perry pears vs eating pears. I dont know what you would call a Bartlet juice as we have so few perry pear trees over here its almost impossible to make a true perry unless you grow your own perry pear trees. We mostly make cysers vs cider, adding some honey to the apple cider before fermenting and a little at bottling makes it very nice. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I agree.

"Cider" has a meaning. There is no such thing as a pear cider- that's a perry. Other mixed berry fermented drinks are wines in my book!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
Asgard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The problem with calling these things wine is that while that seems like a good idea to cider fans, wine fans will go ape **** over it. To them, wine should only ever be made from grapes, have no bubbles, and be >10% abv.

Myself, I'm a fan of *all of the above*. Wine, beer, mead, cider, whiskey, you name it. And while I will agree that in a strict sense cider should include apples (and in a very strict sense it ONLY includes apples if you read those guidelines), in a less strict sense there's a wide group of juices that make something that for lack of a better word I will call 'cider' and which most people who like cider will also like.
fearwig Likes This 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
WVMJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Country wines include all those things, and if the grape guys dont like us calling blackberry wine blackberry wine to bad WVMJ