Got Score Sheets First Contest--bummed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
Got the score sheets. RIS was thin and over carbed. Thinking about it I know they're right.

Bummed out. I thought I was doing well. Still have a lot to learn and improve.

Amen brotha, but isn't it great to receive the feedback and tackle those little issues to perfect your brews....

Don't get too bummed. Try your beer while reading the scoresheets and see of you agree. If you taste what they taste and agree, then figure out how to fix it and keep it in mind next time you brew.

If you don't agree with the scoresheet, ignore it and send the beer off to another competition. If you get several sets of scoresheets back and they're all similar, then you know you have a problem - even if you don't taste the flaws.

Most of all - don't take low scores or criticism too personally. I know it can be difficult to hear something you spent lots of time and effort doing isn't as great as you thought. Use the feedback to learn and grow as a brewer and before you know it you'll be raking in the medals.

Failure can be the greatest teacher and motivator if you don't let it become your biggest discourager.

The only "bad" scoresheet is one that doesn't help you improve your brewing. As long as you're learning / growing, you're developing as a homebrewer.

Got the score sheets. RIS was thin and over carbed. Thinking about it I know they're right.

Bummed out. I thought I was doing well. Still have a lot to learn and improve.

It can be harsh to have someone honestly evaluate your beer, but it's really valuable if you want to progress and improve as a brewer. I don't trust family or friends anymore when it comes to an honest evaluation because I know that they don't want to hurt my feelings. Try to address the critiques in future beers and continue to submit to competitions. I'd really recommend volunteering as a steward because you will get the opportunity to taste what the judges are tasting; it can be really eye opening to taste the top and bottom beers in a category and compare where your beers are.

Personally whenever I hand beers out to people (probably won't ever bother with a contest though) I would much rather they tell me what they think is wrong with my beer. Then I can think about what I can change to try to correct the problem, or if I enjoy it then I'll leave it as is.

Of course if they just come up and say it sucks ass with no other input then I'll be sure to never hand them another beer.

Another great thing about the feedback they gave you is now you HAVE to rebrew that RIS to see if you can improve on it. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back