Well, for the entertainment of this fine community I offer my latest brew folly!
Okay well, the crux of the biscuit was in the milling. I milled my grain. Drill ran out of juice towards the end so I ended up using the handle to turn.
Then I decided to run it through again. Was not quite happy with the crush.
Drill battery was recharged at this point. Hook it up and started spinnin'...
Donk! There goes the hopper full of grain all over the basement floor!
Forgot to take the manual handle off!!!
My basement floor is NASTY! Never really clean (part of the basement is even dirt) I won't even discuss what kind of nasty sh!t there is all of the place. Dusty, dirty, all kinds of debris of one sort or another.
But, waste not want not and such. Hey there is a grain shortgage looming. Might as well make the best of it right?
Well, I picked it up with my hands as carefully as possible trying not to get too much nasty debris. Mashed. Found some screws in there as I sifted. Bits of styrofoam floated to the surface. Wood shavings. Unidentifiable items of dubious appearance...
So things were going so well I decided to push my luck and experiment. I have read others have mashed at night and boiled in the morn'. So that is what I did. I am boiling now as a matter of fact. Just got back from refilling my propane tank 3/4 of the way through the boil. Was not pleased with the boil up to that point. Finally had to admit to myself I was running out of gas.
Well. When I got back with the propane tank there was some stringy slimy film on the surface of the wort. Yum.
Skimmed that off and continued.
I am sure there will be more mishaps to report. Must go add hops.
Hope you have enjoyed this report!