Another Chocolate Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 @ 70
10.5lbs 2-row
1lb Carafa III
1lb German Munich
.5lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Lactose
1oz Tettnanger @ 4.4% 60mins
1oz Tettnanger @ 4.4% 40mins
Yeast: US-05
Add 4oz Bakers Chocolate to secondary when racking
Add Cold brewed chocolate flavored coffee to secondary when racking
To cold brew the coffee 2 cups of cold water and 2x the amount of grounds that you would use to hot brew.

I love this beer, the chocolate and coffee came through really well. It may become something I always have on tap.

Photo:

00005.jpg

you could substitute the 2-row for roughly 6lbs of X.L. DME. I'm not sure the Munich will do anything for you as a steeping grain, so you can probably leave that out. Add maybe a pound of 2-row and the chocolate malt and carafa III for steeping grains.

Thinking about making this soon so that it's ready for when the weather cools down. Few questions:

1. When do you add the lactose?
2. What kind of Baker's chocolate do you use? Unsweetened? Semi-sweet?
3. I'm going the extract route so I won't be using the Munich. How much difference in taste will there be? Anything all that noticeable?

Sidenote: You go to U of I? I graduated from there 4 years ago.

Lactose at the end of the boil, or for that matter any time in the boil, but if you add it at the beginning it will decrease your hop utilization.
For the chocolate I used unsweetened Hersey's bakers chocolate. The stuff the comes in powdered form. I would throw it in at the same time as the lactose though, the more time it gets to be in contact with the wort the better.

Not sure on the extract.

And yes, Senior at U of I

Hey Z I see you have a double choc stout on tap I am going to brew my first attemt at a double choc stout this weekend care to share your recipe and any tips you may have on this recipe

Thanks

I'm looking for a good Christmas brew to make that will please SWMBO. Did anybody who brewed this last year get a good reaction from the Mrs.? I really want to brew a stout for Christmas, but my wife does not like dark beers.

Back