Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #61
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8s View Post
Thanks, I went ahead and went with what I was given. It was not a perfect day, but I made beer. I was off on y boil off, so I was short about half a gallon, but I hit all my temps, and all my gravities. I could not help but drink what was left in my kettle when I was done, oh so tasty. I will be doing a side by side with a friend who came by today to help in a few weeks. He loves EFP, so he will be picky. Should be interesting.

Thanks for a great recipe, Ohio!!!!

Jay8s
Glad to hear your brewday went relatively well. I hope you enjoy it! In fact, I think I'll drink one right now.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #62
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodad View Post
So I made a 10 gallon batch of this back on June 7th I pitched a starter of WL Dry English in half and a starter of London Ale in the other half and after 3 weeks in the bottle i chilled one of the Dry English Ale version down and gave it a sample. I think this is very close to to Edmund Fitzgerald which is one of my favorite brews. Nice chocolate and malt background. Just a hint of that special b raisin flavor comes through and the nice dry yet somewhat creamy finish keeps you coming back for another sip. This is a very nice recipe ohiobrewtus!! Can't wait to compare this one with the other batch and I think I will go buy a 6er of the real thing to compare all 3 this weekend. Thanks again for sharing!
so how did the london ale batch compare to the dry english ale batch? i'm mainly concerned with which dried it out the most.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #63
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 17

well, i brewed this recipe today. for some reason i had a lot of problems but in the end it came out ok i think. could only find pale chocolate locally so used that and used UK pilgrim hops for bittering and UK challenger hops for the flavor and aroma additions. pitched a 2L starter of wyeast 1098 and the airlock was going within a couple hours. hope it turns out well. smelled pretty good!

EDIT: oh yeah, used maris otter as the base grain. between that, the pale chocolate, and different hops it might have a slightly different character than the original recipe.

Last edited by KingBrianI; 10-18-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #64
jay8s
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just kegged this today. It tasted so wonderful when I took a sample. hopefully this will last til SWMBO's birthday in two weeks. On to my Chocolate Hazelnut Porter.

THANKS AGAIN OHIO!!!!!
Primary 3 - Patiently waiting

Secondary 1 - Air
Secondary 2 - Patiently waiting
Secondary 3 - Patiently waiting
On deck Chocolate Hazelnut Porter
Bottled - Tat Fire Fat Tire Clone, Sunset Paddle Wit, Stocking Feet Porter, Ed Worts House Pale Ale, Midwest Wit
Drinking - Sunset Paddle Wit,
Stocking Feet Porter, , Ed Worts House Pale Ale, Midwest Wit, Scottish Kilt+/-60
Kegged EF Clone

Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #65
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I heard they use Wyeast 1028 for this recipe. I'm leery of using special b in an american robust, though. Does it really add anything closer to the beer being cloned?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #66
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To me, the Special B gives it a bit of dark roast/dark fruit hint. It's very subtle and in the background compared to everything else though.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #67
nowise
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This looks delicious. I am brewing this after my next batch for sure.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #68
krunner
Recipes 

All I have to say is wow, brewed pretty much this exact recipe(kicked up the 4%ers to 5% and the black patent just a smidgen). This was my first brew AG/extract/period and while it has only been bottled for a week and I just cracked open my first one, delicious, now I just have to contain myself until they are properly finished....

I love EF, and this gives me an excuse to go out and do a comparison .

Thanks for the great recipe , an awesome introduction into this hobby.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #69
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey OB, just wanted to give an update on this recipe, I brewed this on 9-28-08, I put a sixer in the cellar and forgot about it, a couple weeks ago I was digging through the cellar and found the sixer, I thought, wonder what it tastes like 11 months old, put it in the fridge for a few days, and all I can say is wow! That s*&t is freaking awesome man, I dont know if you have ever aged yours that long, but you should try it sometime, I split the batch using S-04 and Notty, these were the Notty strain bottles, anyhow just wanted to tell you how good it is at this age, and thanks for the recipe.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #70
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks for the recipe...is this really going grain to glass in 4 weeks?