American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #21
Jdawg
Recipes 

Feb 2008
in oregon

I going to try this one tomorrow, it looks fantastic! thanks for the hookup!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #22
korndog

Recipes 

Nov 2007
westlake village, ca
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
You know I was going to say something but I think I'll let this one stand on it's own!
Yeah, I guess it does.

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #23
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 62 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog
I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to let the ladies know that SWMBO has found a great combination. She likes a shot of EF and a Young's Ram Rod Ale at the same time. Kinda weird.
You guys are just wrong... that's why I love this friggin' place.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #24
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Oregon, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just FYI.....

I brewed up a 5.5 gallon version of this recipe in late December, except I converted to partial mash, swapped the Centennial for Galena and used Wyeast 1028 Smackpack. The beer turned out great! The last bit of greenness is aging out and in the next week or two I'll do a side by side.

But after having a bottle of EF a few days ago, I'll second what you said, this recipe is damn close!

Thanks again for sharing.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #25
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts

Ohiobrewtus,

I was just looking at your recipe and it is fairly similar to mine, other than you subbed my favorite grain, Special B, for Munich. If you have any left, I would love to do a swap with you and check out the differences. Mine went into secondary today, so it won't be ready for a bit. If you are interested in a swap, send me a PM.
Primary:
Fruitcake Old Ale, RIS
Next Up: White IPA
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Founder's Dirty Bastard, New Glarus Moon Man, Fat Head's Hop Juju

Old 02-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #26
Jdawg
Recipes 

Feb 2008
in oregon

I did my batch today and everything went great... although my OG came in @1.051 @ 70 degrees F. ant thoughts?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #27
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
Ohiobrewtus,

I was just looking at your recipe and it is fairly similar to mine, other than you subbed my favorite grain, Special B, for Munich. If you have any left, I would love to do a swap with you and check out the differences. Mine went into secondary today, so it won't be ready for a bit. If you are interested in a swap, send me a PM.
I'm bringing a keg of this to NHC, so we can sample both of them then!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #28
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg
I did my batch today and everything went great... although my OG came in @1.051 @ 70 degrees F. ant thoughts?
There could be a multitude of reasons why you missed your OG, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will still make for a nice beer.

I don't have an extract or PM version, but if I were going to do one I'd start by steeping all of the specialty grains in the amounts listed above (cut in half for a 5 gallon batch), then add extract to hit 1.060.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 AM   #29
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
I'm bringing a keg of this to NHC, so we can sample both of them then!
Cool beans!!! This batch will run out by then, but SWMBO has required this to be our house beer, so I am sure there will be plenty more.
Primary:
Fruitcake Old Ale, RIS
Next Up: White IPA
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Founder's Dirty Bastard, New Glarus Moon Man, Fat Head's Hop Juju

Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #30
Jdawg
Recipes 

Feb 2008
in oregon

this one turned out great. a little lite for my tastes as far as porters go, definitely very nice english styled porter.