American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
2 qt.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 66F
I just pulled a couple of these of the kegerator and compared with EF. It's pretty damn close. The jury is still out as to whether or not this EF clone will get you EF or not. :D
banana1.gif

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: HopHed Robust Porter
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 30.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
21.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
2.50 oz Centennial [8.80 %] (60 min) Hops 33.5 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [3.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 25.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 31.25 qt of water at 166.9 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Dough-in with 7.75 gallons of 167F water
Double batch sparge with 5 gallons of 170F water per sparge
Collect 13.69 gallons of wort in keggle for boil
30 psi for 2 days, gently stir - then 30 psi for another 12 hours, then serve.

Looks like a nice robust porter, and given all of the hoopla attributed to EF, I am brewing up a 5.5 gallon version of this recipe today. Anything you would do differently on the next version?

ScoutMan said:
Looks like a nice robust porter, and given all of the hoopla attributed to EF, I am brewing up a 5.5 gallon version of this recipe today. Anything you would do differently on the next version?

I'm the biggest critic of my beers, and to be perfectly honest there's nothing that I would change about this recipe right now. I've only made it once, but it's a great full-bodied robust porter with nice chocolate and roasty notes that's really balanced quite well.

I had a poker party at my house last night and this beer was a huge hit - even with the "I don't like dark beer', BMC crowd. I'm going to have to do a search for BM's bottling-from-a-keg method to send a couple of these out.

I'm going to brew it again soon, and if batch #2 turns out as well as this one did then I'm just going to leave it alone.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Be sure to post more feedback about this one! I think I may make this next week. Thanks for sharing

All jokes aside, the commercial version of EF is quite good. I may have to brew this up soon.

We should have a lable contest for this one!!

I just poured my first pint from this beer I brewed up on 12/5/07. This stuff is EFing great. Having never tried the commercial version, I can't say how close it is, but this stuff is great. My only tweaks to recipe were to swap some crystal 120 for the special B as I was out, and I pitched onto and existing yeast cake of S-04. Great Work OhioBrewtus

Glad to hear that it turned out well. I just did another 10 gallons of this over the weekend myself.

ohiobrewtus said:
Glad to hear that it turned out well. I just did another 10 gallons of this over the weekend myself.

So, now that some time has passed, how close to you think it is to the real EF? Just curious. I'm adding this recipe to my files as I have yet to brew what I consider to be a decent Porter. This recipe looks like it may fit the bill.

Rhoobarb said:
So, now that some time has passed, how close to you think it is to the real EF? Just curious. I'm adding this recipe to my files as I have yet to brew what I consider to be a decent Porter. This recipe looks like it may fit the bill.

I'd say that it's quite close. This recipe has a bit more going on in the nose and the palate in the way of roasted and chocolate notes than the commercial verson does.

I'll have to report back again in a few weeks when I have this past weekend's brew on tap.

I may have to try this soon.

I threw this in beersmith, everything halved for a 5.5gal batch. Attached is the BSM file, just in case anyone wants to skip a step - ohiobrewtus, I'd be happy to remove it if you want to put up your own, or just want me to take it down, or whatever.

View attachment EF.bsm

Funkenjaeger said:
I may have to try this soon.

I threw this in beersmith, everything halved for a 5.5gal batch. Attached is the BSM file, just in case anyone wants to skip a step - ohiobrewtus, I'd be happy to remove it if you want to put up your own, or just want me to take it down, or whatever.

Good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of doing that.

Here is Evan!'s review of this beer (http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=539327&posted=1#post539327)

Evan! said:
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

First off, I've gotta say that there's nothing quite as awesome as the wife opening the fridge and asking, "hey, Evan, what's EF?" Werrrd.

Pour/Aesthetic: I don't know if you bottled from a keg or not, but the carbonation on this one was a little high for any beer, and especially for a porter. I poured gently and ended up with a good 2" of foam that took awhile to settle down. The head was off-white with a large bubble matrix due to the high level of CO2. The color of the beer itself was dark brown to black, with some slight red at the very edges.

Aroma: As usual, the overcarbing lead to a weird metallic smell that took a few minutes to dissipate. After that, it was all chocolate and roasted notes. No hop aroma. A little coffee, a little raisin.

Palate: This is where it really shines. The balance is impeccable! I love the chocolate notes, I love the slightly smoky roasted notes, and there's a faint hop flavor too in the form of spiciness. Best of all, the mouthfeel is silky (after I let it sit in a glass and offgas some of the carbonation, that is), and the body is nice and full. It reminded me of eating chocolate ice cream while drinking coffee---so, actually, like an Affogato (espresso on gelato). Freakin' delicious. I wouldn't change a thing about the palate.

Proximity to Style: I've never had the "real" EF, but I'm a fan of Robust porters and as such have tried plenty. This has everything the style demands, except for the carbonation level.

Overall Impression: The one and only flaw was the high carbonation. Otherwise, this is a masterpiece and I wouldn't change a thing. Make this your house porter, and brew it alot. And then send some more to me. The roastiness is beautiful without being over the top, and reminds me almost of grilled red meat. The chocolate flavors are wonderful, and are accentuated by the creamy texture. Thanks for sharing!

Score: 43/50

I just traded some Westvleteren for some Michingan beers and got one of these. I don't really like porter, but am forever changed since enjoying this baby. i am dying to brew it! It's slightly more carbonated than other porters I have tried, but the toasty richness followed up with a crisp dry finish is sensational. This is a beer I want to drink while firing up the HLT. Did this recipe produce that perfect dry finish like the real deal?

i like the look of this. could i pitch it directly onto a windsor yeast cake from an IPA? i don't want to have to run to the LHBS!

Ya sure. If you've got the cake you might as well use it. I've never used anything other than WPL007, but Windsor should be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it'd be ok - but I haven't pitched on the cake before so wanted to get a second opinion.

Another HBT member review is available here.

Yooperbrew said:
Here are my notes:

First, it was overcarbed quite a bit. This was not an issue, as I just poured it and let it settle. I think he told me he was concerned it would lose carbonation in transit (bottled from a keg) so he added a carb tab. It poured with a big tan head but then faded nicely, and left wonderful lacing on the glass. This beer was dark- very dark, with a nice tan head on it. It was very attractive!

Aroma: The first "smell" I get is of roastiness and then some raisin notes. Very balanced aroma- it just smells so good!

Taste: Oh, this was very good. The raisin notes came through, and there was a perfect balance of a hint of chocolate and mild coffee-like roastiness. This beer was full bodied, rich, and flavorful. No real hop flavor noted, no esters, or diacetyl. I really liked this beer!

Mouthfeel: Rich, and almost creamy. Wonderful!

Now, I told Ohiobrewtus that I've had the real Edmund Fitzgerald, and I noticed some differences, so I wouldn't say this is a clone. It's better, actually! The full body works in this beer, as well as a hint of roastiness. I think EF is thinner bodied, without the deep flavor notes and without the roastiness. When we go to the NHBC, I plan on trying his side by side with the "real" EF to see if I'm right.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to let the ladies know that SWMBO has found a great combination. She likes a shot of EF and a Young's Ram Rod Ale at the same time. Kinda weird.

korndog said:
I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to let the ladies know that SWMBO has found a great combination. She likes a shot of EF and a Young's Ram Rod Ale at the same time. Kinda weird.
You know I was going to say something but I think I'll let this one stand on it's own!

korndog said:

You guys are just wrong... that's why I love this friggin' place. :rockin:

Just FYI.....

I brewed up a 5.5 gallon version of this recipe in late December, except I converted to partial mash, swapped the Centennial for Galena and used Wyeast 1028 Smackpack. The beer turned out great! The last bit of greenness is aging out and in the next week or two I'll do a side by side.

But after having a bottle of EF a few days ago, I'll second what you said, this recipe is damn close!

Thanks again for sharing.:mug:

Ohiobrewtus,

I was just looking at your recipe and it is fairly similar to mine, other than you subbed my favorite grain, Special B, for Munich. If you have any left, I would love to do a swap with you and check out the differences. Mine went into secondary today, so it won't be ready for a bit. If you are interested in a swap, send me a PM.

:mug: I did my batch today and everything went great... although my OG came in @1.051 @ 70 degrees F. ant thoughts?

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Ohiobrewtus,

I was just looking at your recipe and it is fairly similar to mine, other than you subbed my favorite grain, Special B, for Munich. If you have any left, I would love to do a swap with you and check out the differences. Mine went into secondary today, so it won't be ready for a bit. If you are interested in a swap, send me a PM.

I'm bringing a keg of this to NHC, so we can sample both of them then!

Jdawg said:
:mug: I did my batch today and everything went great... although my OG came in @1.051 @ 70 degrees F. ant thoughts?

There could be a multitude of reasons why you missed your OG, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will still make for a nice beer.

I don't have an extract or PM version, but if I were going to do one I'd start by steeping all of the specialty grains in the amounts listed above (cut in half for a 5 gallon batch), then add extract to hit 1.060.

this one turned out great. a little lite for my tastes as far as porters go, definitely very nice english styled porter.

Can't get WLP007 locally. LHBS said Wyeast Whitbred yeast would work well or use 005. Any thoughts on this? I want the nice dry finish.

korndog said:
Can't get WLP007 locally. LHBS said Wyeast Whitbred yeast would work well or use 005. Any thoughts on this? I want the nice dry finish.

uwmgdman used Wyeast 1028 and was pleased with the results. I've never used anything other than WLP007 to make it so I can't attest to the results of using another yeast.

There's just enough special B in there to add to the aroma. This beer does not present any dark fruit aroma or taste.

Jdawg, your comments are curious to me. Every time that I've brewed this it borders on stout to me, but I still consider it a porter. Did you mash in at 1.25qt/lb. and mash at 154?

ohiobrewtus said:
uwmgdman use Wyeast 1028 and was pleased with the results. I've never used anything other than WLP007 to make it so I can't attest to the results of using another yeast.

There's just enough special B in there to add to the aroma. This beer does not presetn any dark fruit aroma or taste.

Jdawg, your comments are curious to me. Every time that I've brewed this it borders on stout to me, but I still consider it a porter. Did you mash in at 1.25qt/lb. and mash at 154?

I found a site that lists Wyeast 1098 as a direct equivalent to 007. I have this yeast, so I will give it a shot. Thanks for the reply on the Special B.

Hey guys-

I missed my strike by about 4 degrees at 1.25qt/lb and think that contributed to my low OG- I also ended upwith about 3/4 gallon extra after boil and I followed the recipe listed. The extra wort after my boil would without any question lower my OG, next time I will boil for longer and take readings every 5 minutes till I get what I want. I would like to try this one out with a increased grain bill, more crystal and 2 row- I tend to really like "bigger" dark beers but really like the drinkability of this one.

Cheers!

Jdawg said:

I did mine today and came in a touch lite as well. Oh well. I took reading at 70f and and it was 1.052 which adjusted out at 1.053 on promash. I cooled to 60f and it read 1.058. I have had this happen often while adjusting from a higher temperature. Used Wyeast 1098. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Dumped hydro sample without a taste...Damn.

KD

Anybody try this with White Labs London Ale yeast (WLP013) yet? I just happen to have that one in stock....

Not a problem to buy the Dry English Ale yeast (WLP007) as originally called for, just thought I would see if anybody had experience w/ the London in this recipe.

Thanks!

:tank: Mine turned out great- I couldn't wait for it to age so I kegged 5 gallons and have been enjoying it throughly- the other 5 is being aged. Looking forward to checking the difference between the aged and the young.

- Cheers!!!!!!!!:tank: :mug:

so i found <a href="http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?threadid=10451">here</a> a supposed friend of a Great Lakes brewer claiming they use Wyeast 1028.

Jdawg said:
:tank: Mine turned out great- I couldn't wait for it to age so I kegged 5 gallons and have been enjoying it throughly- the other 5 is being aged. Looking forward to checking the difference between the aged and the young.

- Cheers!!!!!!!!:tank: :mug:

So, what's the verdict? I'm coming up on four weeks on mine. When should I keg this baby?

Back