How to filter break from brewpot to primary? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to filter break from brewpot to primary?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Terek
"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2014
Nampa, Idaho
Liked 239 Times on 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
Some will say it doesn't matter... pour it all in and let it settle after fermenting.
I'm in the school of keep it clean.
I have not found a filter that works at the homebrew level. The break is more of a gel that instantly clogs the screen.
Whirlpool does work. It seems to work best after the wort is cooled.
it doesnt matter, unless your washing the yeast. More crap in the bottom of the fermenter makes it extreamly hard to decant off in mason jars. There is so much junk in the jar, id doesnt have anywere to settle. I guess you could get away from this by adding more water to the wash and decanting in milk jugs, but that is more of a hassle.
Fermenters: beer and cider
Bottled: lots of beer and cider :)
"BEER....The cause of, and solution too, all of life's problems"

Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
brew_ny
Social_Misfit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2013
Charleston Four Corners, New York
Liked 730 Times on 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
the last 1/2 gallon or so left in the kettle I put in a 1 gallon pitcher in the fridge and once the trub settles, add that to the fermenter.
that is a great idea I would have never thought of that but I will give it a try

thank you

S_M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977Brewer View Post
I'ma make a beer. It'll have barley. Hops too. I'll like it, my wife will hate it.
"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world."

710 Brewing We go to sleep errly and wake up errly

Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #13
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts

Brewer friends, I must confess, I have not read through this thread. But if you wish to eliminate trub, then one method is to simply use a settlement vessel. Run everything from the kettle into a vessel to settle overnight. Then transfer into a fermentor the next day leaving all the trub behind. Pour the trub into a smaller vessel and let separate. Boil the wort from the settlement and add to the ferment. I do this procedure for often. You will gain about a half gallon. An alternative is to can the half gallon for wort starters using a pressure canner.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
mjohnson
Recipes 

Mar 2010
New Jersey
Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts

Another use for that leftover wort is to do a ferment test. After pitching my yeast, I'll put some leftover wort into the flask with the remaining yeast dregs. I leave this at room temp to see how far it will ferment down. It typically goes faster than the main fermenter so you have some idea what FG will be.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, sanitized and put in the primary fermenter. This catches 90% of all the gunk. On a large beer, after getting as much wort through it as possible, there will be 1-2 pounds of leftover stuff.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
MindenMan
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Carson City, Nv
Liked 384 Times on 297 Posts

I use two inside the other, 5 G paint strainers to filter my wort. With patience, you can get all the wort except the actual trub caught in the strainers. I use Irish Moss @ 15, and will get my wort as cold as I can, wait for it to settle, and scoop it out. A little of the"silt" gets through, but not enough to cause loss when racking. When I lift out the strainers, I put them in a colander and let the rest drip out. It makes it a lot easier to cold crash a small amount of trub in the fermenter, that will usually stay stuck to the bottom.
In process currently: 4 gallons of Ice Cider fermenting at 55* F

Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Paradigm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Dover, NH
Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

We ended up creating our own "filtration funnel" using this and a 2-liter soda bottle cut in half. It actually works extremely well and it's very easy to clean. (We have to pause 2-3 times during the transfer to clear out the collected trub.