Can using brett/sour bugs infect a room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I'm venturing into the world of using brett and other bugs. I was wondering if by just using them, is there a chance I could infect an area of my house? I don't make a ton of beer, but I have a good bit of mead aging in carboys. Is there anything I should worry about as far as infections go? I figure most of the mead is probably high enough ABV not to worry about (but I'm not positive), and I plan on using seperate equipment. Is just keeping the sours out of the immediate area of my other stuff, and using separate equipment good enough? Any information is appreciated.
Thanks
wickerman

This shouldn't be a problem, especially if you are using separate equipment. The bugs and brett will not leave the wort, so the only potential risk is contamination from surfaces the beer touches. In fact, there are probably plenty of bugs and brett in your brewing environment anyway, especially if you store grain there. Basic sanitation should prevent any contamination.

Back