Finding the perfect fermenter may be only a dream...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutsbrew

Reaction score
Can't fit an auto-siphon thru lid (Big Mouth). Glass breaks. Rotatable racking valve leaks (Brew Bucket). Plastic scratches. Plastic spigots break (lost 5.5 gallons last G-D night) or are difficult to fully sanitize. Rigging up spigots to replace factory POS spigots will eventually break or whatever (Speidel plastic fermenters) (Did I mention I lost 5.5 GD gallons of liquid yummy last night?). Stainless steel is expensive, even if cheaper in the long, long run.

Maybe I should pony up for something SS and quit the plastic POS go-round. Also, might be able to not worry about breaking a carboy or a "Big Mouth" with it's flipp'n stupid lid set up...

In the meantime, guess I'll have another beer. Maybe the perfect fermenter will appear on my monitor here, something made of a material that will not scratch, break, rust. A fermenter made of a material from the stars that will not transfer chemicals to homebrew, will not leak around the spigot, can fit an autosiphon through the lid, seals well around the damn lid, is light weight, opaque (or whatever the word is for "no light passing thru") and will not corrode or absorb odors and is available in 7, 14 and 22 gallon sizes. Yup, time for another beer.

Just buy a better-bottle with a racking adapter. If you're scratching the inside, you're cleaning methods are too harsh.

I've tried a number of different fermenters over the years, including a $600 SS conical that rhymes with "brichmann"... I've settled on plastic buckets.

Is the plastic bucket a perfect setup? Hell no. But for the price, and ease of use/cleaning, it's kind of hard to beat, in my opinion.

The SS conical was really cool, but at the end of the day, it wasn't $590 better than a bucket.

I'd like to help recommend something for you but, I think you ruled out just about everything. Good luck man

Here you go I know it is plastic but you can mount it on the wall. out of the way so no mo
broken spigots
6rct.jpg

Not sure that there's a fermenter out there that doesn't have its shortcomings.

I've been very happy with simple 'ol 6.5 gallon plastic buckets with added spigots. I'm gentle with them, so I have some that have seen a lot of batches and are still smooth (I don't nest them inside each other). I clean/sanitize the spigots well each batch and am very careful to not bump them against anything (which can crack the body and cause leaks).

Either use better bottles or plastic buckets WITHOUT spigots.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found my perfect fermenter before starting my first batch. Better Bottles and an autosiphon. NO SPIGOTS! My initial idea was for the lower weight. I have never regretted the decision.

It is light easy to clean, IMO easier than my buckets. I like the clear so I can see what is happening if I want to. To keep light out i cut an end off the box they came in and a hole in the other end for the airlock, cover it an forget it.

If you scratch a BB you are doing something wrong!!! Got most of mine on buy one get one specials. No need to pay big $$$, and I have no worries about the plastic imparting anything bad to the beer. IMO that just doesn't happen in large enough amounts to be a concern.

BETTER BOTTLES or the equivalent ALL THE WAY!!!

You guys are right. There is no perfect fermenter, only the fermenter that is best for me.

So, how about those chilling methods... hehe

Thanx again. :mug:

Back