BYO recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I am using the Spiced Holiday Ale recipe from this months's BYO magazine, just curious though if racking and bottling just after fermentation is complete is an okay thing like they say to do?

One more thing, the yeast I am using is White Labs London and optimum fermentation temp is 67-71, my home was in the 72-73 range yesterday but down in the 68-69 range today. Is this okay do you think and also in their recipe they say to raise the wort temp to around 70-72 for the last 1/3 of fermentation for diyactel resting. If my room temp for the first 2 days of fermentation was on the higher end of fermentation recomendations, is this a step I still need to do?

If you take a hydrometer reading and you have reached your final gravity, racking and bottling will be fine. If not, then let it sit. If you don't have a hydrometer, go buy one.

You want to let the beer sit for a couple of days after active ferment has completed to let the yeast to clean up (in essence a d-rest). If the temp was high to begin with, then you will most likely have some off flavors or fusel alcohols produced. Invest in some form of fermenter temp control. Typically, the beer will be a few degrees warmer than the ambient room temp during fermentation.

Thanks for the help!!! I do have a few hydrometers and will take the reading in a a few days. I do have a freezer with a temp control, problem is it's in my garage where it gets colder and the temp controller is for lagering and doesn't warm. So I guess a little off flavor might be what I will get with this batch...Which sucks!

Back