Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hobbit Brew?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #51
JoSeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
That was wood elf wine, no? Or was it beer?
Not sure, anyone have a copy of the hobbit handy?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #52
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSeR
Not sure, anyone have a copy of the hobbit handy?
Pretty sure some were ale casks. Some were definitely apple barrels, but some were wine or beer.

What about at the meeting in the beginning? Any clues about the ale or where he stored it? We are probably talking about flat beer, no?

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #53
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
I am missing something here. What, his hair is BROWN? Oh, is he the obese wow player? Gotcha.

We need an herb that would make it bitter, or we could pretend that they had hops. I personally don't want a psychoactive beer, that just sounds dangerous and probably illegal.

The dwarves preferred stout. Interesting.
Well, the herbs traditionally brewed with were bittering agents. They were not all psychotropic and some such as yarrow are typical garden flowers. Supposedly myrica gale is available from some HBS. Wild marsh rosemary is another story. It is NOT related to the culinary rosemary herb btw.

Here are the first few links I pulled up for gruit.

http://www.gruitale.com/

http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/b.../555/gruit.htm

Oh and heather ale was also apparently huge in the british isles (especiall northern parts) prior to hops. i believe there are even some commercial breweries making it today (sans hops)

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #54
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am a complete nerd (hence I spend my time on a computer message board devoted to homebrewing) and I know a bit about the Lord of the Rings. If I had to make a guess I would tell you that at least in Hobbiton, and probably in Bree as well, they would be drinking what we would consider English Ale. This is because Hobbiton was Tolkein's idealized vision of pre-war of England.

As for drinking ale in the other cultures of Middle Earth, I couldn't say other than that all of Middle Earth is meant to be similar to Northern Europe. Perhaps there were other ale styles and Lagers but I would still be willing to bet English Style Ale dominants.

The books were originally intended as a Saxon myth as England does not actually have any myths of her own (the King Arthur story being written by the French) so I would assume all the ale was English in Tolkein's mind (the pubs and drinking scenes described in the book would seem to support this).

So there is my super geeky answer to the question. I return now to my lvl 50 Hunter in Kalimdor

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #55
JoSeR

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
Pretty sure some were ale casks. Some were definitely apple barrels, but some were wine or beer.

What about at the meeting in the beginning? Any clues about the ale or where he stored it? We are probably talking about flat beer, no?
I would say a flat or nearly flat for sure, I understand it was almost impossible to get the fed-ex guy to deliver kegging supplies to middle earth
They all got loaded at the meeting in the beginning and I think there is a reference to what they were drinking?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #56
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

here are some commericial "historic ales"

http://www.fraoch.com/historicales.htm

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #57
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
here are some commericial "historic ales"

http://www.fraoch.com/historicales.htm
Interesting, and it reminded me that bree was another word for wort.

Bree Beer........ Maybe some idiot's mis-spelling of bree gave us the word beer.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",

Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #58
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSeR
I would say a flat or nearly flat for sure, I understand it was almost impossible to get the fed-ex guy to deliver kegging supplies to middle earth
They all got loaded at the meeting in the beginning and I think there is a reference to what they were drinking?
I just remembered! I read an article a few weeks ago that said that brown malt and brown ales don't have the traditional flavor because the grains are traditionally kilned over a wood burning fire and have a smoky flavor!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #59
JoSeR

Recipes 

Am I hearing smoke beer?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #60
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A little smoke, not like smoking the grains in a smoker, but... fire toasted I guess.