Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tasting Vs. Drinking?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
debaniel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Last week i checked the gravity of my first batch - a big belgian strong ale... after being surprised by how really good it tasted (still a bit rough, needs to age a while), i thought, "boy, this would taste really darn good if it was carbonated..."

so i mixed my sample with a bottle of La Fin du Monde.

That was one awesome tasting sample!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #22
barnes
Recipes 

Hilarious thread title.

The only time I taste uncarbonated/conditioned beer any longer is when I'm bottling and have a little bit left in the bucket that won't fill up my last bottle. It's always maltier/sweeter and the hops don't seem as assertive as after bottle-conditioning.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 AM   #23
Martin F
Recipes 

I not only enjoy the sample when I rack to the keg, I enjoy the sample pre-fermentation. When I put it in the keg, it is usually a decent temp for drinking (65) and is lightly carbonated. If it has been in the secondary for 3 weeks, it is quite good already.

BTW - I don't prime but I noticed that some said they were drinking the bottom of the bottling bucket. My guess is this would be a sweeter sample because of the dextrose that was added for priming.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #24
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I taste my brews at nearly every stage, I even taste it as I transfer to the primary. Never know what you might learn about your brew at each tasting.