Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who started this hobby with a Mr. Beer kit?
View Poll Results: Did you start this Hobby With a Mr. Beer kit?
Yes 76 31.93%
No 154 64.71%
No but I started with a similar kit. 8 3.36%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #51
gimmebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I imagine I'm the only one with this story (haven't had time to read all responses): I ASKED for a Mr. Beer for Christmas, but my wife got me the big-boy beer equipment instead. I wrecked my first batch so bad by using soap when I put the bottles through the dishwasher that I didn't get back on the horse until 14 years later. I certainly don't look down my nose at Mr. Beer brewers; I'm more like jealous.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #52
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3355 Times on 3237 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Started with an Ale Pale kit and "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" back in '02.

Been having a good time ever since.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #53
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought my Mr. Beer fully intending to do partial grain kits with it. (It was all I could afford at the time) When I got it, I made the Extract kit it came with, and shortly after went to the LHBS and baught a partial grain kit. A week later I bought a 5gal kit. I'm slowly collecting all of the items and tools I need.

I like the suggestion about using Mr. Beer for Applewein.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #54
Haterade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started with Mr. Beer. Made two of their kits. Then I went extract with grains for about 3 months. Now I'm doing all-grain. I still use the brown barrel for quick-turnaround brews like wit's and hefe's and bottle right from the keg. Thanks a lot Mr. Beer... that stupid 40$ present turned into a hobby that involves a 2nd refrigerator, buckets of grain and my pile of equipment grows weekly. But I am making pretty freaking good beer at this point!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #55
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I started with a Mr. Beer kit 2 months ago, I've made 5 batches with their kits. The first one just finished bottle conditioning last week and I've already decided to move on - bought ingredients for EdWort's Haus Pale Ale yesterday (partial mash). Made my own primary from a bucket and plan to use the Mr. Beer as a bottling bucket for now. I'm already hooked on this hobby!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #56
Wrathbone
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

started with Cooper's kit - hated the first batch, but was so excited about the prospect of good beer that I moved on.

2nd batch was Cooper's prehopped LME and LME extract - been extract with steeping grains since.

On Deck:
Primary- Reboot Pale
Secondary-
Kegged/Aging-
On Tap- Experimental Pumpkin Wheat-ish