Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who started this hobby with a Mr. Beer kit?
View Poll Results: Did you start this Hobby With a Mr. Beer kit?
Yes 76 31.93%
No 154 64.71%
No but I started with a similar kit. 8 3.36%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Who started this hobby with a Mr. Beer kit?

I am curious about how many home brewers here got their start with a Mr. Beer kit.
If you did start with a Mr. beer tell us about your experience and what you are doing now.

Back when I started I didn't even know if they had those kits. After reading Charlie P's book I went straight to the LHBS and bought my 5 gallon starter kit.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Old Barnegat
Recipes 

No Mr Beer Kit for me! I actually started making wine, and got tired of waiting around for 12-18 months for it to be drinkable. And I like beer better anyway.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

5 gallon starter kit here- Xmas gift from SWMBO.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
Silviakitty

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Meeee!

I'm thinking in just a month or two the Mr Beer kegs are gonna be relegated to apfelwein (sp?) fermenters.

• Primary: [2 mr beer lil keg things] Apfelwein. One with sucrose and molasses, the other with fructose and honey.
  • Better Bottle: Empty. Going to be Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale.
  • Carboy:empty.
  • Secondary:Brewferm Frambois
  • Piggie: Irish Stout
  • Bottled: Red Ale, Irish Stout

Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sure did. Thanks Mr. Beer, I didn't really make any good batches with you, but you got me going on the right track.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Your standard Ale Pail starter kit here.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started with Mr. Beer as a Christmas present for 2005. Within a month or two, I came across a Craigslist add from a guy who wanted to sell his whole 5 gallon setup for $50. 3 buckets, 3 glass carboys, numerous airlocks, tubes, big-ass stirring spoons, a jet washer, flip top bottles, etc. It was a great deal and I went right into an easy LME/hops and dry yeast recipe. Next was an extract and grains recipe. I started to brew some all grain batches about a year ago, I guess.

As for Mr. Beer, I still use the keg for small, low grav extract batches.
I gave a mr. beer to a friend, not too long ago...but with it I gave him 4 small cans of pale LME, some fresh Cascade hops, a little Crystal, and US-05. I told him to make the mr. beer mix as a first batch, then follow the directions I gave him for an extract and grains pale ale. He liked "his" beer much better than mr. beer's.

All in all, I like the little setup, but the mixes are kinda lousy and definitely overpriced. I know that most people could easily go straight to 5 gallon extract/grains batches, but there must be a mental hurdle that keeps a lot of people from trying it first. The only bummer in my experience was that I got very excited at the beginning and bought 5-6 mr. beer "mixes". These were not very good at all, I found. I wish I hadn't wasted the cash on them.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
Phideaoux44

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started with a Mr. Beer. I made an English Nut Brown Ale the first time and it was great. I was hooked. It was my first good batch, and on my first try! Being perhaps too confident, I then proceeded to invite some friends over a few weeks later to try my second batch, the West Coast Pale Ale. And, as the beers were passed around and opened, I learned just how important sanitation was...

It was perhaps the worst beer ever created. I hadn't been very thorough and so each bottle was varied slightly from "tastes a little like pee" all the way up to "I'm pretty sure this IS pee". The stuff was so foul we could barely make the toilet drink it...

I guess that is what I got for trying to show off. But I did learn that sanitation is key, and that humble pie goes well with beer. Anyway, I had my fun with it for a while before moving on to bigger and better things.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #9
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I jumped in both feet first. Dropped the cash on 3 carboys, bottling bucket and all the accouterments! Kegging about 2 months later.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts

I didn't actually start with a Mr. Beer kit. A friend who knew I used to brew bought me one years ago as a Christmas gift to get me back into it. I used it once and got myself re-equipped with a proper set up.