Moor revival ale clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slymaster

Reaction score
I drank a Moor revival ale a few years back and it pretty much had all I loved about beer: a good mix of English and American character, plus that easy drinkability that many Pale Ales have. No wonder why it won so many awards.

I found enough infos about the ingredients but nothing about a clone. They say they use Pale (Maris Otter?), Lager, Cara, Crystal and Wheat malts. I also found that they use Columbus and Chinook Hops and an American Yeast with a crisp finish, which sounds like Wyeast 1056. The alcohol content is 3.8% and I found no infos about IBUs.

As I'm not an experienced "cloner", I'll take any advice about grain and hop proportions, mashing temps & time AND hopping schedule.

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Home Brew

I guess this fine ale is not known enough, or this thread should be in the All Grain Brewing section?

I've collected a lot of infos about this fine beer and even contacted the brewery. They are really kind and generous about the ingredients they use in their beer but pretty silent about the proportions and the process, which is where the magic happens. Here is what I have found.

What I know:
It’s 3.8 ABV on tap, 4.0 in bottles
Final Gravity is 1.010 (a fellow brewer uncarbed a sample and checked).
It’s a mix of Pale Ale, Wheat, Lager, Crystal (120 SRM?) and Cara-Pils Malts.
They use Columbus and Chinook Hops (confirmed by Justin, the Master Brewer. They used other Hops in the past but it was the ones used for last year’s production).
The carbonation volume. Based on the style, the fact that it’s bottled-conditioned and the ABV difference between the bottled version and the tap version, it’s 2.0 vols.

What I’m pretty sure of:
They use American Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1056).
The color is roughly 12 SRM.
IBUs is around 35 (I’ve read the info somewhere but couldn’t find the article).

What I don’t know:
The hopping rate. They’re both dual-purpose hops but from previous tasting and descriptions, it’s most likely that Columbus is more used for bittering and Chinook for aroma, though the beer shows has a bit of both aromas.
The ratio between the different Malts. Though I think I’m guessing pretty good, based on similar low-ABV ales.
The fermentation temp (I would ferment a little lower than normal for this one).
If they use minerals. I would use demineralized water and add Gypsum and Chalk.

What I have learned about that type of beer:
Keep the ingredient list simple. I only use flat pounds for grains (except Cara-Pils) and flat ounces for Hops.
Ferment low. It's going to make a cleaner-tasting beer and let the hops and malts shine.
Make multiple hop additions. It's going to bring a lot of complexity.

Here’s my attempt for a 6 gallon batch:
1.00 tbsp Gypsum
0.50 tbsp Chalk
3 lbs Golden Promise
2 lbs Lager Malt
2 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 120L
0.75 lbs Cara-Pils

Mash @ 154F for 60 minutes

0.25 Columbus @ 60 min
0.50 Chinook @ 15 min
0.25 Columbus @ 15 min
0.25 Chinook Whirlpool 30 min
0.25 Columbus Whirlpool 30 min
0.25 Chinook Dry Hop for 5 days
0.25 Columbus Dry Hop for 5 days
1.0 pkg American Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1056)

Ferment @ 66F
Cool @ 62F over the last 2 days

Bottle carb @ 2.0 vols using 3.5 oz of corn sugar

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back