How much water to use when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shark_sandwich

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All of the carbing caculators will tell you the amount of sugar or what ever but don't say how much water to dissolve them into. I am going to make some test batches 3.5 gallons but also for general info on miscellaneous batch sizes how is the water calculated. Is it not that important just make sure that it is totally dissolved and that is good. I know for a five gallon batch JP said to use 113 g of sugar to 2 cups of water. I guess that I can just use that as an ratio and figure it out from there or is close good enough.
thanks for your input.

it really doesn't matter so long as it is dissolved completely. i just eyeball it. a cup of water, maybe 2.

I use enough so that its not a thick syrup and it mixes well in bottling bucket. Usually about 500ml

I use 2 cups of water, no matter what the grams or ounces of sugar per batch calls for.

I start the small boil for the priming solution with 2C of water. Boil a few minutes,then stir in the weighed amount of priming sugar till the water clears again. Cover & cool while I get set up to rack to bottling bucket. In your case with a smaller batch,1C might do fine?

I usually do 1.5 cups of water regardless of the amount of sugar (usually between 1 and 5 ounces). Like others have said, enough to dissolve the sugar without being syrupy.

Back