Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #571
lehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Sourmash I know all about polishing.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #572
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
After a quick search it looks like aluminum melts at 2200

Carbon Steel 2600-2800
Stainless 2750

NG burns at 3000
Propane at 3600

Both these numbers assume no heat loss. So you can figure that it will be much less at contact with your stand.

Here are some good links. Your stand should be fine

http://www.derose.net/steve/resource...flametemp.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...als-d_860.html

By the way. That stand looks sweet.
Without starting any pissing war most aluminum alloys decline rapidly if exposed to elevated temperatures although some retain significant strength to 500*F. Aluminum melts at 1,220*F not"2,200*F", deep red color steel your at 1,300*F. If aluminum is exposed to elevated temperatures it weakens due to mainly the coarsening of the the fine precipitutates on which the alloy depends on their strength. With the reply of the steel plate melting which is way above the deep red of 1,300*F and the 1,220*F of aluminum is the reason why I replied in ther first place. A metal frame insert to hold your keggles or pots exposed directly in the flame that is bolted to the aluminum frame plus a heat shield protecting the aluminum from any flames pushed to the side by wind or the burner cranked up high.
If the automotive world could get pistons to operate at these higher elevated conditions with a melting temp of 2,200*F we would have super clean and higher efficiency running internal combustion engines, the limiting factor would be the ignition temps of the gasoline by thes elevated temps. This in the ignition range of app 875*F causing preignition detonation and self distruction of the engines.
Try www.steelforge.com as a example, click on aluminum then click on "Learn More".

Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #573
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Without starting any pissing war most aluminum alloys decline rapidly if exposed to elevated temperatures although some retain significant strength to 500*F. Aluminum melts at 1,220*F not"2,200*F", deep red color steel your at 1,300*F. If aluminum is exposed to elevated temperatures it weakens due to mainly the coarsening of the the fine precipitutates on which the alloy depends on their strength. With the reply of the steel plate melting which is way above the deep red of 1,300*F and the 1,220*F of aluminum is the reason why I replied in ther first place. A metal frame insert to hold your keggles or pots exposed directly in the flame that is bolted to the aluminum frame plus a heat shield protecting the aluminum from any flames pushed to the side by wind or the burner cranked up high.
If the automotive world could get pistons to operate at these higher elevated conditions with a melting temp of 2,200*F we would have super clean and higher efficiency running internal combustion engines, the limiting factor would be the ignition temps of the gasoline by thes elevated temps. This in the ignition range of app 875*F causing preignition detonation and self distruction of the engines.
Try www.steelforge.com as a example, click on aluminum then click on "Learn More".
NO......... no pissing contest implied I am sure.

I hit the wrong key. Too many 2's I meant to put a 1. All I am saying is you would need a closed environment of direct heat for those burners to melt the stand. With open air and regulated use. His stand will be fine.

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #574
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
Sourmash I know all about polishing.
Damn.....That is shiny. I have some kitchen appliances and a grill that need cleaned. What is your going rate?

Seriously....... That is a nice looking setup.

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #575
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
Oh My God.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #576
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Brewbeemer I figured out why your back hurts your head is too heavy from all that knowledge

Pat

Old 11-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #577
kronik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's my All Electric Herms...Using 3 Blichmann's 20G/15G/15G, 2 5500w element's, one in HLT, the other in the BK. A custom controller made by Brewmation, 1/2" Cam & Groove disconnects, 50' 1/2" stainless tube for the HEX, 2 march pump's, one to recirculate the mash, the other to recirculate the HLT continuously. The stand works but is temporary, until a figure something else out. Just brewed the first 12g of Oatmeal Stout last week, went pretty smoothly. It heats and boils as fast as any burner I have used.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #578
Moose777

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What type of sparge you got set up on that rig? like to see the inside of the MT.

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA

Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 AM   #579
kronik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just use a silicone hose that rests on the grain bed, and batch sparge.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #580
modenacart
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
You would have a lot more NOx formed.