Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Show us your sculpture or brew rig
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #1541
Kalvaroo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kalvaroo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colts Neck, NJ
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

My nearly complete Brutus Ten clone...


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-369172348.jpg
Views:	2497
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	41111  
Kalvaroo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #1542
laizure
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 55
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I think just because it's cool or just because you can, something along those lines. Why buy a Ferrari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Hate to sound like a noob, I have nearly 30 all grain batches under my belt, but I really am not understanding the need for 3 pumps. I see that a lot of these really badass rigs do in fact, have three pumps. Can someone please tell me why...thanks...wnc

Ps- I am not trying to detract from or disparage any of you three pump guys...just curious


laizure is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #1543
Emc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cotati, CA
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2134528235.jpg
Views:	1788
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	41112

So this is my Brutus build. Actually have another keggle that eventually will become my boil pot, but until I start making 10 gallon batches I've just stayed with this one.
Emc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #1544
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zebulon, North Carolina
Posts: 655
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer
Hate to sound like a noob, I have nearly 30 all grain batches under my belt, but I really am not understanding the need for 3 pumps. I see that a lot of these really badass rigs do in fact, have three pumps. Can someone please tell me why...thanks...wnc

Ps- I am not trying to detract from or disparage any of you three pump guys...just curious
1 for mash recirculation, 1 for hlt recirculation (reduces stratification) and on for the BK to whirlpool and chill. Overkill, maybe.... but SWEET
__________________
"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."
McCuckerson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #1545
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sylva, NC
Posts: 431
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson

1 for mash recirculation, 1 for hlt recirculation (reduces stratification) and on for the BK to whirlpool and chill. Overkill, maybe.... but SWEET
Oh yes, definitely sweet. Thanks for clearing that up for me
wncbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #1546
pilzner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT, CT
Posts: 121
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 3 pump system

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Hate to sound like a noob, I have nearly 30 all grain batches under my belt, but I really am not understanding the need for 3 pumps. I see that a lot of these really badass rigs do in fact, have three pumps. Can someone please tell me why...thanks...wnc

Ps- I am not trying to detract from or disparage any of you three pump guys...just curious
Here are the reasons I built mine:

1. No hose changes. No Hose changes. No hose changes. At the end of the brew day my floor is dry.
2. I can do back to back batches and recirculate the MT the whole time while chilling the BK.....and again, no hose changes.
3. It takes away the guessing work in regards to the configuration.
4. Although this is not a major issue, it's backup incase one of the pumps fail.....hate to lose a batch because of equipment failure.

You can build the same system with 2 pumps (a no hose change system), but the number of valves and piping configurations become very complex.....3 pump systems make everything more minimalist in the setup and in the way it runs.

Does it cost a bit more.....yea...$100 plus a couple fittings.....not the end of the world when you look at the total cost of a well built system.

Is it overkill? Depends what you are looking for....If you are brewing in a pot with a plastic bucket, then yup this is overkill for sure
If you have a 2 pump system....then it's a small investment to simplify your current layout and clean up your brew day process.

I like being able to flip a switch and a valve to change the process. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.....in the end I chose this one to fit my brewing style and needs.

I love mine....I wouldn't want to go back to 2.....can you tell?

Here is my system
__________________
. . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . . . .

Brew like a Pro, Look like a Pro, Drink like a Pro

---Burp
pilzner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #1547
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sylva, NC
Posts: 431
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilzner

Here are the reasons I built mine:

1. No hose changes. No Hose changes. No hose changes. At the end of the brew day my floor is dry.
2. I can do back to back batches and recirculate the MT the whole time while chilling the BK.....and again, no hose changes.
3. It takes away the guessing work in regards to the configuration.
4. Although this is not a major issue, it's backup incase one of the pumps fail.....hate to lose a batch because of equipment failure.

You can build the same system with 2 pumps (a no hose change system), but the number of valves and piping configurations become very complex.....3 pump systems make everything more minimalist in the setup and in the way it runs.

Does it cost a bit more.....yea...$100 plus a couple fittings.....not the end of the world when you look at the total cost of a well built system.

Is it overkill? Depends what you are looking for....If you are brewing in a pot with a plastic bucket, then yup this is overkill for sure
If you have a 2 pump system....then it's a small investment to simplify your current layout and clean up your brew day process.

I like being able to flip a switch and a valve to change the process. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.....in the end I chose this one to fit my brewing style and needs.

I love mine....I wouldn't want to go back to 2.....can you tell?

Here is my system
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the line changes. That makes perfect sense. I lose a little splash of wort every time I switch, not to mention the mess. Cool system also, love how everything is hard plumbed and clean in place. If you had it to do over, would you still have automated the boil burner?
wncbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #1548
ccrum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 36
Default

I can see it if you are doing back to back batches and the pumps won't be idle, but I don't think most brew this way. I have a two pump system with solenoid valves to switch the direction of flow. I never have to change hoses either and use a BCS so I can control my valves, burners, and pumps from my phone.
ccrum is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #1549
pilzner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT, CT
Posts: 121
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
If you had it to do over, would you still have automated the boil burner?
I know it's not really necessary, but I like the fact that I turn my burners on and off with a switch. Once pilot lights are on....flip....and they're on.

Again, for me it just organizes the process....burners and pumps are automated by BCS and also by manual switch.
__________________
. . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . . . .

Brew like a Pro, Look like a Pro, Drink like a Pro

---Burp
pilzner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #1550
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 996
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Here is mine

Love having this as a resource


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00023-20100208-1822.jpg
Views:	2447
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	41130  
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?
Dog House Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig twst1up Brew Stands 923 03-23-2015 03:45 PM
brew sculpture? beerme Equipment/Sanitation 10 09-18-2013 02:40 AM
First all grain brew (with amazing brew sculpture pic) alpo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 02-11-2013 03:50 AM
Brew Sculpture ? lpdean Equipment/Sanitation 13 05-13-2009 11:40 AM
My new brew sculpture Lil' Sparky All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 26 02-25-2007 04:11 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS