Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #1541
Kalvaroo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My nearly complete Brutus Ten clone...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-369172348.jpg
Views:	2497
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	41111  

Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #1542
laizure
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think just because it's cool or just because you can, something along those lines. Why buy a Ferrari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Hate to sound like a noob, I have nearly 30 all grain batches under my belt, but I really am not understanding the need for 3 pumps. I see that a lot of these really badass rigs do in fact, have three pumps. Can someone please tell me why...thanks...wnc

Ps- I am not trying to detract from or disparage any of you three pump guys...just curious

Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #1543
Emc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Name:	image-2134528235.jpg
Views:	1788
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	41112

So this is my Brutus build. Actually have another keggle that eventually will become my boil pot, but until I start making 10 gallon batches I've just stayed with this one.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #1544
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer
Hate to sound like a noob, I have nearly 30 all grain batches under my belt, but I really am not understanding the need for 3 pumps. I see that a lot of these really badass rigs do in fact, have three pumps. Can someone please tell me why...thanks...wnc

Ps- I am not trying to detract from or disparage any of you three pump guys...just curious
1 for mash recirculation, 1 for hlt recirculation (reduces stratification) and on for the BK to whirlpool and chill. Overkill, maybe.... but SWEET

Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #1545
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson

1 for mash recirculation, 1 for hlt recirculation (reduces stratification) and on for the BK to whirlpool and chill. Overkill, maybe.... but SWEET
Oh yes, definitely sweet. Thanks for clearing that up for me

Old 12-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #1546
pilzner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 3 pump system

Quote:

Here are the reasons I built mine:

1. No hose changes. No Hose changes. No hose changes. At the end of the brew day my floor is dry.
2. I can do back to back batches and recirculate the MT the whole time while chilling the BK.....and again, no hose changes.
3. It takes away the guessing work in regards to the configuration.
4. Although this is not a major issue, it's backup incase one of the pumps fail.....hate to lose a batch because of equipment failure.

You can build the same system with 2 pumps (a no hose change system), but the number of valves and piping configurations become very complex.....3 pump systems make everything more minimalist in the setup and in the way it runs.

Does it cost a bit more.....yea...$100 plus a couple fittings.....not the end of the world when you look at the total cost of a well built system.

Is it overkill? Depends what you are looking for....If you are brewing in a pot with a plastic bucket, then yup this is overkill for sure
If you have a 2 pump system....then it's a small investment to simplify your current layout and clean up your brew day process.

I like being able to flip a switch and a valve to change the process. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.....in the end I chose this one to fit my brewing style and needs.

I love mine....I wouldn't want to go back to 2.....can you tell?

Here is my system

Brew like a Pro, Look like a Pro, Drink like a Pro

---Burp

Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #1547
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilzner

Here are the reasons I built mine:

1. No hose changes. No Hose changes. No hose changes. At the end of the brew day my floor is dry.
2. I can do back to back batches and recirculate the MT the whole time while chilling the BK.....and again, no hose changes.
3. It takes away the guessing work in regards to the configuration.
4. Although this is not a major issue, it's backup incase one of the pumps fail.....hate to lose a batch because of equipment failure.

You can build the same system with 2 pumps (a no hose change system), but the number of valves and piping configurations become very complex.....3 pump systems make everything more minimalist in the setup and in the way it runs.

Does it cost a bit more.....yea...$100 plus a couple fittings.....not the end of the world when you look at the total cost of a well built system.

Is it overkill? Depends what you are looking for....If you are brewing in a pot with a plastic bucket, then yup this is overkill for sure
If you have a 2 pump system....then it's a small investment to simplify your current layout and clean up your brew day process.

I like being able to flip a switch and a valve to change the process. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.....in the end I chose this one to fit my brewing style and needs.

I love mine....I wouldn't want to go back to 2.....can you tell?

Here is my system
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the line changes. That makes perfect sense. I lose a little splash of wort every time I switch, not to mention the mess. Cool system also, love how everything is hard plumbed and clean in place. If you had it to do over, would you still have automated the boil burner?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #1548
ccrum
Recipes 

I can see it if you are doing back to back batches and the pumps won't be idle, but I don't think most brew this way. I have a two pump system with solenoid valves to switch the direction of flow. I never have to change hoses either and use a BCS so I can control my valves, burners, and pumps from my phone.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #1549
pilzner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
If you had it to do over, would you still have automated the boil burner?
I know it's not really necessary, but I like the fact that I turn my burners on and off with a switch. Once pilot lights are on....flip....and they're on.

Again, for me it just organizes the process....burners and pumps are automated by BCS and also by manual switch.

Brew like a Pro, Look like a Pro, Drink like a Pro

---Burp

Old 12-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #1550
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Here is mine

Love having this as a resource