Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I squeeze my sack?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #21
Germey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am equally going to stay away from the innuendo (heh heh, he said in you end o)
I do believe that some grains will be more prone to leach tannins. That is based on the comments of a craft brewer who uses a lot of decoctions when he was asked about tannins and that process.
Regardless, I don't think that compressing grains will leach tannins.
If you look at industrial scale mash filters (click the process animation on this page) you see that the grains get compacted into massive cakes. Since these are primarily used in BMC type breweries, you can be sure there is no risk of tannins getting leached into those delicate (weak) flavor profiles.
I asked the brew wizard about this and didn't hear back (although I didn't get the Dec. issue, a separate thread on that if BYO customer service doesn't fix that for me). Then I had the chance to talk to Charlie Papazian and asked him about it. We both agreed it must be a myth and got back to drinking beer.
If I had to guess, I would say that the risk would come from over sparging if you were to squeeze most of the liquid out, then add a lot of of sparge water and squeeze it again.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #22
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey
I am equally going to stay away from the innuendo (heh heh, he said in you end o)
I do believe that some grains will be more prone to leach tannins. That is based on the comments of a craft brewer who uses a lot of decoctions when he was asked about tannins and that process.
Regardless, I don't think that compressing grains will leach tannins.
If you look at industrial scale mash filters (click the process animation on this page) you see that the grains get compacted into massive cakes. Since these are primarily used in BMC type breweries, you can be sure there is no risk of tannins getting leached into those delicate (weak) flavor profiles.
I asked the brew wizard about this and didn't hear back (although I didn't get the Dec. issue, a separate thread on that if BYO customer service doesn't fix that for me). Then I had the chance to talk to Charlie Papazian and asked him about it. We both agreed it must be a myth and got back to drinking beer.
If I had to guess, I would say that the risk would come from over sparging if you were to squeeze most of the liquid out, then add a lot of of sparge water and squeeze it again.
Thanks for stepping outside the peanut gallery to give a real answer. If Charlie says myth, I think I have to side with his opinion.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #23
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

I believe that tannin extraction is more a function of the water being too hot; I don't think squeezing has much to do with it. Keep the grains under 170 degrees and you're fine.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #24
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
Like I said before, I prefer just to let my bag hang out
Does this end up steaming your bag? I'd prefer to avoid burns on my sack.