Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > All Grain or Keg?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
BNVince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default All Grain or Keg?

Hypothetically, if you didn't have the ability to do either all grain or kegging at the moment, what would you chose to do first? By my calculations, I figure I can get everything I need for AG brewing in a little under $300. Kegging would obviously be more (around $500).

Money aside, which one do you think would be better to have first?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I starting kegging first because I was already partial-mashing. I'd do it the same way if I had to do it over again...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

For me, all grain would be (and was) first. Plus it's cheaper than a kegging setup.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I started AG for a whole lot less than $300... I didn't even spend $100 - I built a 5-gal MLT from a cooler and picked up a cheap turkey fryer kit to do full boils.

With that said, it's kind of hard to say without knowing your situation exactly... But personally I'd lean toward going AG first, it's easily the most important improvement I've made to my beer. And the money you can save by buying grain vs. extract can go toward kegging gear!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I started AG for a whole lot less than $300... I didn't even spend $100 - I built a 5-gal MLT from a cooler and picked up a cheap turkey fryer kit to do full boils.
I don't see $300 either...I bought a $30 turkey fryer, a $17 cooler, and $15 or so of hardware. Yeah, the pot is not the nicest thing in the world, but it is working nicely and will someday be repurposed as a HLT.

It's a tough call, especially when we don't know what gear the OP already has. I enjoy the heck out of my kegerator, but it cost a lot more to build than I spent on AG stuff. OTOH, if I was having to bottle everything, I doubt I'd be as enthusiastic about the hobby.

One thing to keep in mind, is that you really don't need a full blown kegerator setup to enjoy kegging. A used fridge in the garage (often free or nearly so on CL), a Co2 tank & regulator, a few kegs and a picnic tap is all it takes to get started.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I went all grain for about $100.00. Turkey fryer with pot, cooler fittings and home made immersion chiller. I don't mind bottling that much and don't have room for a keezer. When I go draft it will be a big chest freezer with at least 5 taps and room for conditioning.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #7
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I guess $300 is way over priced considering the turkey fryer. But I'm assuming I'd have to get a wort chiller as well.

$50 - Wort Chiller
$50 - Cooler
$50 - Turkey Fryer Kit
$?? - Parts to convert cooler in to mash tun
$?? - Misc. stuff

But the money saved, as somebody pointed out, from grains vs. extract is what is really selling me.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

All grain was cheap as hell, going keg was flippin expensive. I'm glad I've done both, but I think going all grain paid off better. Don't forgot you need a nice thermometer which is about 20-30 bucks though.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bayou Classic

That seems like a hell of a deal to me. Is this the type of cheap turkey fryers people are talking about?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All grain. Best change in brewing I've made so far!

In the Works: