Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #681
bigfellow2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

hello everybody. Just a question. is it ok if the room temperature never reach 70. it is higher like 80 to 80F. is this ok for the MB?
thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #682
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cooler the better to prevent off flavors. I don't think you want to be brewing at 80F.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #683
MCH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfellow2k View Post
hello everybody. Just a question. is it ok if the room temperature never reach 70. it is higher like 80 to 80F. is this ok for the MB?
thanks

Put a wet T-shirt over the MRB fermentor but be careful not to cover up the top. Keep the T-shirt wet and it may drop the temp enough. I keep our house at 75, didn't use the T-shirt method and both my batches came out fine.
You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #684
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfellow2k View Post
thanks
+1 on what MCH said...I cool my mr beer fermenter in my chillchest right along side my other fermenters.

Here's what I do, since the MR Beer isn't as air tight as a regular fermenter.

First I have a spray bottle of sanitizer handy...I thoroughly spray the spigot area with more sanitizer, and soak a plastic baggy and a couple of small rubberbands in sanitizer...I then wrap and seal the spigot with the baggie and the rubberbands.

I use an upended bowl (but a couple bricks would work) set inside my chill chest to keep the mr beer off the bottom of the bath, since the bath is actually higher than the mr beer...I use a bowl that lets the water come up less than halfway up the side of the mr beer.

I spray the outside of the mr beer with sanitizer.

Before putting it in the water I take a dry t-shirt and put it over the keg, making sure that the neck keeps the lid of the mr beer open...this is kinda tricky to manage with a full mr beer, so have a helper.

I then put the fermenter on the bowl in the water bath and let the ends of the shirk sit in the water, like a skirt around the bowl....

I also put sanitizer in my water bath...

With this setup and frozen ice bottles you can get your fermenter as cold as you need it...I got it once down to the high 50's. If I had added more icebottles and a fan I could have lagered...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #685
shootermcgavin7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No I was saying the XLDME is a very good foundation dry malt to use for anything...It is kinda like chicken, or tofu for vegetarians...It can take a lot of flavors (marinades for chicken and tofu & Steeping grains in the case of DME) without necessarily imparting any flavors of it's own.
Exactly. This is what I want to start with. I think my previous post came out wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #686
shootermcgavin7
Recipes 

Another quick question.

Mr. Beer's instructions do not include a reboil after their malt extracts are added to the water (a la howtobrew.com.

If I sub the Booster with 1 lb of the dried malt extract, do I need to add the reboil?

Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #687
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
Another quick question.

Mr. Beer's instructions do not include a reboil after their malt extracts are added to the water (a la howtobrew.com.

If I sub the Booster with 1 lb of the dried malt extract, do I need to add the reboil?
You should either boil or pasteurize anything going into your beer for 15 minutes.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #688
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
Another quick question.

Not really. Many people do late extract addition where the malt is added in the last couple of minutes or even at flame out. The trick is to be careful with the container/bag so you don't introduce contaminants (the extract itself should be relatively sterile). For dry extract you should spray the outside of the bag where you will cut with some sanitizer, and for liquid malt extract you should do the same to the lip of the container.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #689
bigfellow2k
Recipes 

Thanks for the response. that was fast. so the cooler the better for the beer.

thanks

Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #690
Sirgatti
Recipes 

Quick noob question:

Good or Bad idea: Set Mr. Beer above an A/C vent so that it will stay cool.

Or would the fluctuating temp do more harm than good?

edit: Nevermind, I just read that it has to be a constant temp.