National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #5301
JACWagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just got my first kit yesterday! Made the Pilsner already, and the winter ale will be next as soon as the pilsner is bottled.

Happy to be starting off in this hobby!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #5302
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSand View Post
My basement is also 58. I do several things:

Use yeast that will work well at lower temps.

Keep the fermenter off the floor, it sucks heat.

Place the fermenter in an ice chest, warmed with hot water bottles if necessary.

Put it near the oil burner, it's warmer over there, about 64.

I have the exact opposite problem and put my fermenters in a nice chest with ice packs to keep it cool. All these fixes sound good to me. Have you used a warming blanket? My dad uses one with his 5gal setup at times.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #5303
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACWagon View Post
Just got my first kit yesterday! Made the Pilsner already, and the winter ale will be next as soon as the pilsner is bottled.

Happy to be starting off in this hobby!

Just give it time to properly condition before bottling it.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #5304
JACWagon
Recipes 

Would that mean the 14 days fermenting in the jug? I am thinking of doing it on or around day 15-16 (bottling) and then let it sit in the bottles for a couple weeks while I am deployed. Then a couple days in the fridge.

Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #5305
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACWagon View Post
Would that mean the 14 days fermenting in the jug? I am thinking of doing it on or around day 15-16 (bottling) and then let it sit in the bottles for a couple weeks while I am deployed. Then a couple days in the fridge.

Thoughts?
Jug? Do you mean the fermenter (sometimes called LBK for little brown keg)?

I think your plan looks good.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #5306
Bigarcherynut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hello everyone. As like many of you I just got the Mr. Beer for a Christmas present. With 531 pages of info I stopped reading at 20.

My question is, the starter kit sounds like it makes a beer just above near-beer. I'm a beer lover but would like a little kick to mine (Alcohol content). Should I toss the starter kit or can I add something to get the first batch up to where a good domestic would be?

Excited to give it a try and I can see I have a heck of a lot of reading to do.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #5307
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigarcherynut View Post
Hello everyone. As like many of you I just got the Mr. Beer for a Christmas present. With 531 pages of info I stopped reading at 20.

My question is, the starter kit sounds like it makes a beer just above near-beer. I'm a beer lover but would like a little kick to mine (Alcohol content). Should I toss the starter kit or can I add something to get the first batch up to where a good domestic would be?

Thanks.
Near beer? I don't remember it being that mild when I started with Mr. Beer.

Anyhow, you don't have to toss the starter kit. Either double up the extracts that were in the starter kit by buying/ordering more. Or if you just want alcohol and body without increasing the flavor, get more "booster," which is basically corn sugar. Are you sure there isn't a package of booster in there already that you're leaving out of the equation?

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #5308
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
Near beer? I don't remember it being that mild when I started with Mr. Beer.

Anyhow, you don't have to toss the starter kit. Either double up the extracts that were in the starter kit by buying/ordering more. Or if you just want alcohol and body without increasing the flavor, get more "booster," which is basically corn sugar. Are you sure there isn't a package of booster in there already that you're leaving out of the equation?
Just looked at the site. I didn't realize the standard recipes were only 3.7% ABV. It's been a while, and they've also changed the recipes, so who knows. So, anyhow, just get another standard refill to match what came with your kit and add it, or here is the booster I was talking about. http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...ooster_trade_1

If there is a LHBS (local home brew store) near you, you can get an equivalent there without paying Mr. Beer for shipping on such a small item.

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #5309
skitter
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigarcherynut View Post

Thanks.
I got 2 more kits for mine for Christmas, after moving away from pre-made kits I feel I have to add to mine. I will be adding 1lb of Light LME a piece and steeping 6oz of Carapils before I boil and dump the kit + LME into the pot

Old 12-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #5310
Bigarcherynut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
Just looked at the site. I didn't realize the standard recipes were only 3.7% ABV. It's been a while, and they've also changed the recipes, so who knows. So, anyhow, just get another standard refill to match what came with your kit and add it, or here is the booster I was talking about. http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...ooster_trade_1

If there is a LHBS (local home brew store) near you, you can get an equivalent there without paying Mr. Beer for shipping on such a small item.
Trippel-A,

Thanks for the help. I may check around my area and see where the closest LHBS is first and upgrade. I also may need a different yeast because my basement temp is below the 68-76 degree rating of the yeast provided in the kit.

Thanks,

Bill