Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions - Page 531 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #5301
JACWagon
Recipes 
 
Dec 2013
San Francisco/South Lake Tahoe, California
Posts: 11

Just got my first kit yesterday! Made the Pilsner already, and the winter ale will be next as soon as the pilsner is bottled.

Happy to be starting off in this hobby!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #5302
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,129
Liked 75 Times on 72 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSand View Post
My basement is also 58. I do several things:

Use yeast that will work well at lower temps.

Keep the fermenter off the floor, it sucks heat.

Place the fermenter in an ice chest, warmed with hot water bottles if necessary.

Put it near the oil burner, it's warmer over there, about 64.

I have the exact opposite problem and put my fermenters in a nice chest with ice packs to keep it cool. All these fixes sound good to me. Have you used a warming blanket? My dad uses one with his 5gal setup at times.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #5303
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,129
Liked 75 Times on 72 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JACWagon View Post
Just got my first kit yesterday! Made the Pilsner already, and the winter ale will be next as soon as the pilsner is bottled.

Happy to be starting off in this hobby!

Just give it time to properly condition before bottling it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #5304
JACWagon
Recipes 
 
Dec 2013
San Francisco/South Lake Tahoe, California
Posts: 11

Would that mean the 14 days fermenting in the jug? I am thinking of doing it on or around day 15-16 (bottling) and then let it sit in the bottles for a couple weeks while I am deployed. Then a couple days in the fridge.

Thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #5305
bpgreen
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Utah
Posts: 443
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JACWagon View Post
Would that mean the 14 days fermenting in the jug? I am thinking of doing it on or around day 15-16 (bottling) and then let it sit in the bottles for a couple weeks while I am deployed. Then a couple days in the fridge.

Thoughts?
Jug? Do you mean the fermenter (sometimes called LBK for little brown keg)?

I think your plan looks good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #5306
Bigarcherynut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2013
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Posts: 246
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Hello everyone. As like many of you I just got the Mr. Beer for a Christmas present. With 531 pages of info I stopped reading at 20.

My question is, the starter kit sounds like it makes a beer just above near-beer. I'm a beer lover but would like a little kick to mine (Alcohol content). Should I toss the starter kit or can I add something to get the first batch up to where a good domestic would be?

Excited to give it a try and I can see I have a heck of a lot of reading to do.

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #5307
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Trippel-A's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 413
Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigarcherynut View Post
Hello everyone. As like many of you I just got the Mr. Beer for a Christmas present. With 531 pages of info I stopped reading at 20.

My question is, the starter kit sounds like it makes a beer just above near-beer. I'm a beer lover but would like a little kick to mine (Alcohol content). Should I toss the starter kit or can I add something to get the first batch up to where a good domestic would be?

Excited to give it a try and I can see I have a heck of a lot of reading to do.

Thanks.
Near beer? I don't remember it being that mild when I started with Mr. Beer.

Anyhow, you don't have to toss the starter kit. Either double up the extracts that were in the starter kit by buying/ordering more. Or if you just want alcohol and body without increasing the flavor, get more "booster," which is basically corn sugar. Are you sure there isn't a package of booster in there already that you're leaving out of the equation?
__________________
Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: All grain saison with rose hips, rose petals & hibiscus ("Scent of Flowers" Saison)
Secondary: none
Bottles: none

On deck: Imperial saison
Future plans: Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose, Berliner Weisse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #5308
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Trippel-A's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 413
Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
Near beer? I don't remember it being that mild when I started with Mr. Beer.

Anyhow, you don't have to toss the starter kit. Either double up the extracts that were in the starter kit by buying/ordering more. Or if you just want alcohol and body without increasing the flavor, get more "booster," which is basically corn sugar. Are you sure there isn't a package of booster in there already that you're leaving out of the equation?
Just looked at the site. I didn't realize the standard recipes were only 3.7% ABV. It's been a while, and they've also changed the recipes, so who knows. So, anyhow, just get another standard refill to match what came with your kit and add it, or here is the booster I was talking about. http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...ooster_trade_1

If there is a LHBS (local home brew store) near you, you can get an equivalent there without paying Mr. Beer for shipping on such a small item.
__________________
Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: All grain saison with rose hips, rose petals & hibiscus ("Scent of Flowers" Saison)
Secondary: none
Bottles: none

On deck: Imperial saison
Future plans: Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose, Berliner Weisse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #5309
skitter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 748
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigarcherynut View Post
Hello everyone. As like many of you I just got the Mr. Beer for a Christmas present. With 531 pages of info I stopped reading at 20.

My question is, the starter kit sounds like it makes a beer just above near-beer. I'm a beer lover but would like a little kick to mine (Alcohol content). Should I toss the starter kit or can I add something to get the first batch up to where a good domestic would be?

Excited to give it a try and I can see I have a heck of a lot of reading to do.

Thanks.
I got 2 more kits for mine for Christmas, after moving away from pre-made kits I feel I have to add to mine. I will be adding 1lb of Light LME a piece and steeping 6oz of Carapils before I boil and dump the kit + LME into the pot

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #5310
Bigarcherynut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2013
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Posts: 246
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
Just looked at the site. I didn't realize the standard recipes were only 3.7% ABV. It's been a while, and they've also changed the recipes, so who knows. So, anyhow, just get another standard refill to match what came with your kit and add it, or here is the booster I was talking about. http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...ooster_trade_1

If there is a LHBS (local home brew store) near you, you can get an equivalent there without paying Mr. Beer for shipping on such a small item.
Trippel-A,

Thanks for the help. I may check around my area and see where the closest LHBS is first and upgrade. I also may need a different yeast because my basement temp is below the 68-76 degree rating of the yeast provided in the kit.

Thanks,

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
read if you use MR BEER kit theBrewman12 General Beer Discussion 74 06-24-2016 05:20 AM
When should your beer read at its FSG justin22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-16-2016 02:32 AM
Read about Jalapeno beer.. had to try it. Drustanos Home Brewing Photo Forum 30 02-25-2015 06:21 AM
so what beer rags do you read? justbrewit General Beer Discussion 16 02-05-2012 09:20 PM
Anyone Try This Beer??? Read Thread 5gBrewer General Beer Discussion 8 02-25-2007 11:52 PM


Forum Jump