National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #5171
ericbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsPheer
Has anyone used the Mr. Beer keg to carb the beer in? Just save it in there for a party where it'll go in one night?

Thoughts?
Would explode and make a mess. Report back on how it works :-)

Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #5172
boochuckles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started my next batch yesterday, and it had pellet hops to be added into it. Everything went fine when I made the wort and added it to LBK. However thinking back I'm not sure how tight I should have made the hop bag. I tied it pretty tight and now am wondering if I should have left it loose. Thinking about it I would think more surface area would allow the hops to dissipate/dissolve/infuse/whatever better? I guess I might have been thinking it was like a tea bag. I have 2 more kits that have hops but I believe they are going to be better beers that I am using the one I think are going to be good not great for trial and error. Back to the point, how tight/loose should the hop bag be?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #5173
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tea bag idea is good. If your doing it as per Mr. B directions, you'll let it sit the entire fermentation? Added at flame out? You're just looking to get the aroma out of the hops, so the two week soak should get most of that.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #5174
boochuckles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I let it sit in the water for a bit while it was "boiling." I kept it there for maybe a minute or so then started to add the HME. I read the instructions closely this time (had a good mistake on the very first batch) and yes I left the tight "tea bag" of hop pellets in the LBK. It wasn't clear as to tight or loose so I just wanted some feedback from those who have done this before. So the ideal way is to keep the bag tight?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #5175
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tight is good, all that contact time will get as much hop goodness as you can expect. Pellet hops for the most part, melt into a goo after awhile so you will keep much of that mess out of your lbk, making bottling much easier with less trub. Many throw them in with no bag at all, but then you get into straining, whirlpooling, cold crashing to compensate.

One thing to remember is to make sure there is plenty of free space in the bag. The hop pellets will expand greatly as they soak up the water.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #5176
SulBruin3
Recipes 

Need some advise. I brewed the Who's your Hefe with the liquid yeast on sunday. Followed the instructions as written by pitching yeast after filling the keg up to proper amount. Also activited yeast about 6 hours prior to pitching. I was a bit worried that it was a bit warm so stuck keg in cooler to drop temp with frozen water bottles. Got down to 60 in cooler overnight and there is no activity. Pulled out and warmed to 70ish since monday and still nothing. There is no krausen visible, no bubbles, and only a bit of sediment on bottom. Should i pitch the MB yeast from under the cap? Or just leave and hope...

Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #5177
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
Need some advise. I brewed the Who's your Hefe with the liquid yeast on sunday. Followed the instructions as written by pitching yeast after filling the keg up to proper amount. Also activited yeast about 6 hours prior to pitching. I was a bit worried that it was a bit warm so stuck keg in cooler to drop temp with frozen water bottles. Got down to 60 in cooler overnight and there is no activity. Pulled out and warmed to 70ish since monday and still nothing. There is no krausen visible, no bubbles, and only a bit of sediment on bottom. Should i pitch the MB yeast from under the cap? Or just leave and hope...
Did you check gravity? Could be fermenting or even done. If you don't have a hydrometer, taste it. If its sweet wort then its not fermenting.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #5178
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
How warm is too warm? 80? 110?

If it was 80, that's a little on the warm side, but it won't kill the yeast. Cooling it to 60 would slow the yeast way down, but too cold won't kill the yeast unless you get down to freezing (which can burst cell walls). Not all batches show a lot of activity. If there's some sediment building up on the bottom, that's a sign of fermentation (unless you pitched so hot that you killed the yeast and there is so little sediment that it's just what was in the yeast packet).

Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #5179
SulBruin3
Recipes 

Thanks all. I checked this am and there was krausen. It just took longer than i expected to see any activity. Since its a hefe should i ferment it warm say 70ish or should i keep it in the mid 60s?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #5180
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Which yeast strain was it?