Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 08-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #5121
azmark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitter View Post
Makes sense, but I have but 1 LBK
The AM Devil IPA, is more a Brittish IPA,,,and not very bitter at that.

If you want to tone it down a bit, as other have said, just add a bit of extra malt, and increase the volume.

To increase the volume, you don't need a second LBK, just add a little extra top off water. With the extra DME your abv shouldn't go down, and you'll get more beer!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #5122
skitter
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Azmark,

I "accidentally" (didnt read the directions quite as well as I should have) brewed my first batch with 1g water + contents from pot + another 2 gallons of water (instead of topping off to the 8q mark), I am assuming this is what you are referring to? Add a little more water without reducing the head-space?

Also, the IPA I am using is the Craft Series - Diablo IPA, not the Devil IPA

Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #5123
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry about that, Diablo, much the same as the Am devil. Very hoppy for a Coors Light drinker, not hoppy at all for a craft IPA drinker.

Adding more water than Mr. B suggests will reduce your head space, but not enough to cause too much problems with most recipes. 3+gallons would be a bit extreme. Mr. Beer instructions get you to about 2.2, if you stick to around 2.5ish and keep your fermentations cool, you shouldn't have too many blow off issues.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #5124
gwcr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
Great idea. Two 1L bottles in a pitcher and then you don't have to explain to everyone how to pour it.
Once they are carbed and conditioned, the longer they sit in the fridge, the sediment layer becomes more compact. I don't stir up much sediment with an aggressive pour after the bottles have been in the fridge for a couple weeks. This is easier to do with a full pipeline though, as it is difficult for me to keep them in the fridge for that long...

Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #5125
skitter
Recipes 

Indeed, I don't plan on having them around for too much time, I usually go through a 20 pack in 3-4 days, which is why I only pick one up on payday

Of course, this is going to be quite a bit different as I will be required to drink out of a glass with this, but I will "have" to finish the whole 1L bottle that day :P

Once I get the carb bit worked out, and hopefully if I don't blow up any plastics, I'll switch to glass bottles.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #5126
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2582 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 5092

Default PET bottles for SALE!

I have 24 amber 1 liter PET bottles from 3 mr beer kits. I will not be using them anymore and would like to get rid of them. only 14 have been used and only once, the other ten have not been used and have the locking caps still. All of them are in perfect condition and have the caps. I would like to sell them for $20 plus shipping charges, paypal only. PM me if your interested
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #5127
skitter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
I have 24 amber 1 liter PET bottles from 3 mr beer kits. I will not be using them anymore and would like to get rid of them. only 14 have been used and only once, the other ten have not been used and have the locking caps still. All of them are in perfect condition and have the caps. I would like to sell them for $20 plus shipping charges, paypal only. PM me if your interested
As I am currently unemployed and have numerous other priorities I will have to thank you for your generous offer and work with what I have until a later date.

Much appreciated though

Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5128
JmNY
Recipes 

Default Mr. Beer

Mr. Beer is what got me into brewing. It really made everything much easier, which beginner and near beginner's need. Plus the beer is better than most store bought brands. I wrote about my beginner experiences here http://www.squidoo.com/Home_Brewing_Beer

Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #5129
whodat1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first post here. My wife bought me a Mr. Beer years ago and I never opened it since we were getting ready to move in a few months and I figured to set it up at the new house. That was over 17 years ago. It got buried in a closet and I just forgot all about it until we were cleaning out the storage closet a couples of months ago.

I decided to finally give it a try. Of course I threw out the canned mixture and yeast that was in the kit. To begin, I started to look for information on brewing with Mr. Beer. And then I stumbled on this thread and started reading it........ Well after reading this thread (well, most of it), I went to my LHBS, bought a Mr. beer refill (Dark Winter Ale), a pound of DME and went at it last Sunday.

My main problem was the place where I was brewing was 74-75F, which from what I understand is just at the upper end of acceptable. This thing took off like gangbusters. It blew the lid of the airlock (like I said, old, old style Mr. Beer) twice with foam coming out of the airlock for about a day. This all started about 24 hours after I started the batch. after about 48 hours it settled down to a blurp about every 3 seconds and the high krausen reduced down to less than an inch. Now, 4-5 days later, it vents out of the airlock about once a minute.

A co-worker of mine who home brews from grain (he's been doing this for around 20 years) said that this sounded about normal for the temperature that I'm fermenting at. He suggests that I leave it go to about 12-15 days from start and then prime into bottles, or rack it into a secondary fermenter today or tomorrow. Since I'm not ready at this point to do two stage fermenting, I'm guessing leaving it go until next weekend is the way to go. I think I will try to batch prime and use E-Z cap glass bottles instead of the plastic ones that came with the kit.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I knew not a thing about doing this before I read it.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #5130
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Fermentation happens in the primary vessel or the secondary vessel, the yeast really don't know the difference. Leave it alone for 2-3 weeks then bottle. You made a good choice not using the plastic bottles. The caps may have dried out after all these years.

The Winter Dark is a known heavy fermenter even at lower temps. But, air temp of 74* is way too high. Remember the temps listed are the temp of the wort, which will be higher than the surrounding air during active fermentation.