HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #4871
Doob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks. I was planning on letting this sit in the mr beer fermenter for two weeks, then bottling in 12 oz long necks, and warm conditioning for three weeks minimum, and cold conditioning for one. Should be right on target for Memorial Day.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #4872
Doob
Recipes 

I suppose I'll wait until July fourth instead. That should be about enough time to let them age properly

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #4873
DFBeerGuy
BeerBirdMan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doob View Post
I suppose I'll wait until July fourth instead. That should be about enough time to let them age properly
Nothing wrong with trying one around Memorial Day! But, if it tastes rough & bitter, just sit on it until Fourth of July. By then it should be coming around. Heck, you may even see fireworks! Try to save some for next Thanksgiving - it should be really smooth by then.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
www.defalcos.com

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #4874
SulBruin3
Recipes 

I just bought a second keg and bottling wand from mr beer and am thinking about racking to the second keg after 2 weeks to clear and then bottle a week or so after that. Thoughts? Or should i just keep in primary for 3 weeks and then straight to bottle.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #4875
DFBeerGuy
BeerBirdMan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
I just bought a second keg and bottling wand from mr beer and am thinking about racking to the second keg after 2 weeks to clear and then bottle a week or so after that. Thoughts? Or should i just keep in primary for 3 weeks and then straight to bottle.
I wouldn't do that. You would be removing the beer from whatever protective CO2 layer that's left after two weeks in the original fermenter, and moving it to another vessel with no CO2 protection and with lots of surface area and headspace. Unless you have a 2 gallon/8 liter secondary fermenter with a narrow neck, I would avoid this. Just give the beer 1 - 2 weeks in the fermenter and bottle it. It'll benefit more from the extra week or two in the bottle than the week or two of "bulk aging," IMHO.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
www.defalcos.com

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #4876
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
Either will work. However, the LBK design uses a "passive airlock" design that relies on a layer of CO2 being created during the fermentation (since CO2 is heavier than air, it sits on top of the beer and keeps the air out). If you rack to another LBK after most fermentation is done, there won't be much CO2 produced, and there will be a fair amount of headspace, so there's more of an opportunity to oxygenate the beer. You also run the risk of introducing oxygen during the transfer.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #4877
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehardt
You could pitch a packet of yeast into the old batch.

Good luck!
I ended up pitching another packet of yeast. How long should I let it sit before I take another SG reading?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #4878
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Question - how long is too long in the LBK, if there is such a thing?

Reason I ask - I have two LBKs, one has had patriot lager deluxe refill in for a week, 2nd one is empty, never used. I have the porter deluxe refill and was going to wait to brew it, mainly because I have enough grolsch bottles for 2 gallons and I like using them, not the plastic bottles from MrB. But the weather is perfect right now, so I am thinking of brewing it and waiting until I have drank my grolsch bottles empty again. Can I leave it in there like 4 or 5 or 6 weeks?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #4879
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
Question - how long is too long in the LBK, if there is such a thing?

Reason I ask - I have two LBKs, one has had patriot lager deluxe refill in for a week, 2nd one is empty, never used. I have the porter deluxe refill and was going to wait to brew it, mainly because I have enough grolsch bottles for 2 gallons and I like using them, not the plastic bottles from MrB. But the weather is perfect right now, so I am thinking of brewing it and waiting until I have drank my grolsch bottles empty again. Can I leave it in there like 4 or 5 or 6 weeks?
I've left a few batches in for 4 weeks, usually because I had a stuck fermentation. You might not have problems if you went 5 or 6 weeks, but if I were you, I'd try to get more bottles and bottle sooner than that.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #4880
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
I ended up pitching another packet of yeast. How long should I let it sit before I take another SG reading?
I'd give it a week.