Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions - Page 429 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #4281
brockettbrews
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Charlotte, Nc
Posts: 565
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Just moved and got out all my homebrew stuff. Just looked on the mr. beer website and it looks like the have a whole new line of stuff. does it taste better than before. I know coopers bought them. Is it better or worse that before??? One more question is there dme better to use thean the booster pack???? I just ordered there octborerfest and the ipa. will brew them one next week and one the week after. getting a good stock for the summer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4282
skidoo2003
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 34

Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancÚ got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #4283
ncbrewer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
New Bern, NC
Posts: 2,351
Liked 328 Times on 281 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet.
Give it at least 3 weeks at 70 degrees before putting any more in the fridge - should improve a lot. Being winter, you might be conditioning at cooler temperatures - this would take longer conditioning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #4284
cbmikey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lemoyne, OH
Posts: 110
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancÚ got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.
You must learn patience weed hopper. 8 days is nowhere near long enough. I'd leave it in a dark place for at least 3-4 weeks before putting any of it in the fridge. Then chill one for a week and try it out. I think you'll be much happier. Which recipe did you make?
__________________
->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #4285
dpsimswm
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 29

I got the Mr beer kit for Christmas as well. Is there a recipe for a simple beer using dry malt extract that I can brew with two or three ingredients? I want to make something affordable. I'm thinking DME, sugar, yeast, and hops. Would that be good?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #4286
stevehardt
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
lakewood ranch, florida
Posts: 450
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancÚ got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.
As others have said, you rushed it big time. If you want to make good Mr Beer, figure 3 weeks in the LBK, and at least 3 in the bottles.

Let the stuff in the bottles ride. Get another batch going.

Welcome to the obsession

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #4287
stevehardt
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
lakewood ranch, florida
Posts: 450
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsimswm View Post
I got the Mr beer kit for Christmas as well. Is there a recipe for a simple beer using dry malt extract that I can brew with two or three ingredients? I want to make something affordable. I'm thinking DME, sugar, yeast, and hops. Would that be good?
Did the Mr Beer kit come with a kit? If so, consider starting out by just making a MRB kit straight up. When you get more comnfortable with the process, then you can experiment a bit.

Just my 2 cents

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #4288
dpsimswm
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehardt View Post

Did the Mr Beer kit come with a kit? If so, consider starting out by just making a MRB kit straight up. When you get more comnfortable with the process, then you can experiment a bit.

Just my 2 cents
Yeah. I'm just thinking ahead. I have two refills that were also gifts. That's about three cases worth...? I suppose in the Spring I will look at making something from scratch.

Also Consider myself to be an excellent cook. I make homemade bread without a machine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #4289
leland1245
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Hampton, Iowa
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Do you have trub in the bottom of the fermenter? If you do the yeast is working. There's not alwaysc a thick layer of Krausen on top.
Yeah, I came home yesterday to a nice thick layer of Krausen and trub in the bottom. Smells fantastic! Already trying to think of what I should brew next.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #4290
skidoo2003
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmikey

You must learn patience weed hopper. 8 days is nowhere near long enough. I'd leave it in a dark place for at least 3-4 weeks before putting any of it in the fridge. Then chill one for a week and try it out. I think you'll be much happier. Which recipe did you make?
I was just following the mr beer directions. I now know better!!! Oh well. live and learn! I will let the beer sit for awhile longer and test it again.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
read if you use MR BEER kit theBrewman12 General Beer Discussion 74 06-24-2016 05:20 AM
When should your beer read at its FSG justin22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-16-2016 02:32 AM
Read about Jalapeno beer.. had to try it. Drustanos Home Brewing Photo Forum 30 02-25-2015 06:21 AM
so what beer rags do you read? justbrewit General Beer Discussion 16 02-05-2012 09:20 PM
Anyone Try This Beer??? Read Thread 5gBrewer General Beer Discussion 8 02-25-2007 11:52 PM


Forum Jump