Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #4281
brockettbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default mr beer new flavors.

Just moved and got out all my homebrew stuff. Just looked on the mr. beer website and it looks like the have a whole new line of stuff. does it taste better than before. I know coopers bought them. Is it better or worse that before??? One more question is there dme better to use thean the booster pack???? I just ordered there octborerfest and the ipa. will brew them one next week and one the week after. getting a good stock for the summer.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4282
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancÚ got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #4283
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet.
Give it at least 3 weeks at 70 degrees before putting any more in the fridge - should improve a lot. Being winter, you might be conditioning at cooler temperatures - this would take longer conditioning.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #4284
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancÚ got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.
You must learn patience weed hopper. 8 days is nowhere near long enough. I'd leave it in a dark place for at least 3-4 weeks before putting any of it in the fridge. Then chill one for a week and try it out. I think you'll be much happier. Which recipe did you make?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #4285
dpsimswm
Recipes 

I got the Mr beer kit for Christmas as well. Is there a recipe for a simple beer using dry malt extract that I can brew with two or three ingredients? I want to make something affordable. I'm thinking DME, sugar, yeast, and hops. Would that be good?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #4286
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:

As others have said, you rushed it big time. If you want to make good Mr Beer, figure 3 weeks in the LBK, and at least 3 in the bottles.

Let the stuff in the bottles ride. Get another batch going.

Welcome to the obsession

Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #4287
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsimswm View Post
I got the Mr beer kit for Christmas as well. Is there a recipe for a simple beer using dry malt extract that I can brew with two or three ingredients? I want to make something affordable. I'm thinking DME, sugar, yeast, and hops. Would that be good?
Did the Mr Beer kit come with a kit? If so, consider starting out by just making a MRB kit straight up. When you get more comnfortable with the process, then you can experiment a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #4288
dpsimswm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehardt View Post

Did the Mr Beer kit come with a kit? If so, consider starting out by just making a MRB kit straight up. When you get more comnfortable with the process, then you can experiment a bit.

Just my 2 cents
Yeah. I'm just thinking ahead. I have two refills that were also gifts. That's about three cases worth...? I suppose in the Spring I will look at making something from scratch.

Also Consider myself to be an excellent cook. I make homemade bread without a machine.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #4289
leland1245
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Do you have trub in the bottom of the fermenter? If you do the yeast is working. There's not alwaysc a thick layer of Krausen on top.
Yeah, I came home yesterday to a nice thick layer of Krausen and trub in the bottom. Smells fantastic! Already trying to think of what I should brew next.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #4290
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmikey

You must learn patience weed hopper. 8 days is nowhere near long enough. I'd leave it in a dark place for at least 3-4 weeks before putting any of it in the fridge. Then chill one for a week and try it out. I think you'll be much happier. Which recipe did you make?
I was just following the mr beer directions. I now know better!!! Oh well. live and learn! I will let the beer sit for awhile longer and test it again.