Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions - Page 369 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #3681
BFitch
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
PA
Posts: 34


so if i bottle this week/weekend i should still be ok?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #3682
bpgreen
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Utah
Posts: 443
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BFitch View Post
so if i bottle this week/weekend i should still be ok?
Yes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #3683
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mredge73's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
La Porte, TX
Posts: 846
Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts


I don't remember what the Mr. Beer keg is made of.
If it is PET (recycle code 1) then it will be extremely resistant to oxidation.
PET plastic is comparable to Glass. http://www.better-bottle.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #3684
bpgreen
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Utah
Posts: 443
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post
I don't remember what the Mr. Beer keg is made of.
If it is PET (recycle code 1) then it will be extremely resistant to oxidation.
PET plastic is comparable to Glass. http://www.better-bottle.com
It's recyclable, but it's #3, not 1. I think the person who expressed concern about possible oxidation wasn't suggesting that the plastic could leak, but that since it uses a "passive airlock" relying on the layer of CO2 to coat the surface and keep oxygen away, that the CO2 layer might not remain intact over a longer time frame.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #3685
BFitch
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
PA
Posts: 34


thanks guys. i have full intentions of bottling this by the weekend. as long as st pattys day doesnt get in the way

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #3686
Brewologist
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
West Chester, PA
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
It's recyclable, but it's #3, not 1. I think the person who expressed concern about possible oxidation wasn't suggesting that the plastic could leak, but that since it uses a "passive airlock" relying on the layer of CO2 to coat the surface and keep oxygen away, that the CO2 layer might not remain intact over a longer time frame.
That's what I was talking about bpgreen.

Wishing you a good brew BFitch!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #3687
Ringoshoe
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've got some very good honey that I'm trying to use in various applications - when bottling, does anyone have an idea what the conversion from the Mr. Beer recommended measure of priming sugar to honey be?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #3688
bpgreen
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Utah
Posts: 443
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoshoe View Post
I've got some very good honey that I'm trying to use in various applications - when bottling, does anyone have an idea what the conversion from the Mr. Beer recommended measure of priming sugar to honey be?
I've never primed with honey, but I think that if you want to prime with honey, you should probably batch prime since it's probably difficult to accurately measure/weigh the small amount needed to bottle prime.

I would also use a priming calculator to figure out how much to use. I forget what site I used when I started batch priming, but lately I've been steering people to this one: http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/bre...mulas.html#bpc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #3689
Ringoshoe
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Yes, I'd definitely be batch priming (got a bottling bucket for that, and the inevitable expansion to bigger fermentors ) because the potential imprecision of bottle priming rankles my engineering soul. I'll check out that calculator, and the one I remember seeing mentioned a dozen or so pages back in this thread too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #3690
grouperdude
 
grouperdude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Tequesta, FLorida
Posts: 248
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


why does mr beer always taste like yeast?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
read if you use MR BEER kit theBrewman12 General Beer Discussion 74 06-24-2016 05:20 AM
When should your beer read at its FSG justin22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-16-2016 02:32 AM
Read about Jalapeno beer.. had to try it. Drustanos Home Brewing Photo Forum 30 02-25-2015 06:21 AM
so what beer rags do you read? justbrewit General Beer Discussion 16 02-05-2012 09:20 PM
Anyone Try This Beer??? Read Thread 5gBrewer General Beer Discussion 8 02-25-2007 11:52 PM


Forum Jump