Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #321
flashover600
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok, great! Thanks for the help. I will start checking my FG of my beer when I think it's done. So how do you tell when you've achieved your final gravity? when the numbers are consistent for two consecutive days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
If you use the 1-2-3 method you'll get good results. Watching the airlock is not proof its done, but it has never failed me. If all things are going well and you can check it daily, you will know when its done. The two chambers of fluid in the airlock will be almost the same w/ a slightly lower level on the gas-pressure side. For this very reason is why I only buy the "S-Style Airlock".

Officially speaking, measuring the Final Gravity (FG) with a hydrometer 2 days in a row w/o change is proof its done. This is as long you are hitting the target gravity.

The only time I do this Final Gravity measuring is when I'm making something that has really long slow ferment. My 1st Apfelwein was fermented at 53'F. It took ~12weeks to hit 1.005 and another week to hit FG target of 1.000. 13 weeks is a long wait at times taking the measurement is really warranted.

Primary - None

Pride and Joy
Raspberry Dream Hefe
Proud To Be An American Stout

Adamson Brewing

Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #322
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover600
Ok, great! Thanks for the help. I will start checking my FG of my beer when I think it's done. So how do you tell when you've achieved your final gravity? when the numbers are consistent for two consecutive days?
Usually 3 consequetive days.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #323
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola
so foam is a sign of being underfermented?
Yes - Its usually form bottling too early or you added too much priming sugar. It can also be that you have an infection.

Odds are from the past discussion is that you bottled before it finished fermenting.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #324
flashover600
Recipes 

awesome! thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Usually 3 consequetive days.
Primary - None

Pride and Joy
Raspberry Dream Hefe
Proud To Be An American Stout

Adamson Brewing

Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #325
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover600
So how do you tell when you've achieved your final gravity? when the numbers are consistent for two consecutive days?
You need to know what recipe calls for for Finished Gravity. (FG) Most MRB Recipes will not state a FG. Mainly because it really marketed for beginers who don't have a hydrometer. My guess is 1.008~1.012 normally.

I stated two consecutive days in a row. Revvy says it should be three. Yes- Being consistent is important here. Knowing its done. When its done you keep getting the same reading. 2 times or 3 times whatever you are comfortable with when you do the check.

If you don't what I mean by gravity & hydrometer look at this link.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #326
jasno999
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
It's not really a good idea to prime with white sugar...most of us use Priming sugar, which is corn sugar...or Dry Malt extract {DME}, or you can use those priming tabs, putting one in each bottle...Table sugar often leads to a cidery taste in your beer...(Again look at the posts earlier today where we talk about using a bottling bucket.)
That is funny cause I think the coopers drops are actually made up os 70% white sugar or something like that.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #327
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasno999
That is funny cause I think the coopers drops are actually made up os 70% white sugar or something like that.
According to Copper's themselves, it contains 73% sugar, 23% glucose in a crystalized form....so it's not pure white sugar.

In some of the stuff that I just found looking for that info there seems to be a lot of people who don't like using them, and usually the complaints that they have call it a cidery taste as well.

I've never used it myself...but there are some applications that I might. Like deciding to prime half a batch of mead or Apfelwein and not wanting to mess with using a bottling bucket...Especially if there is any cidery taste present, it would be expected.

Plus it's a lot more accurate then measuring the sugar and putting it in each bottle, there's less chance of bottle bombs.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #328
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
don't fear the 5 gallon setup. Even though you may not drink all the bottles right away, the longer they sit, the better they will get. You'd be surprised how different the beer will taste after a couple of months in the bottle.

That's good to know. I'm fairly certain I'll move up after a batch or two once I feel like I understand what I'm doing.

Quote:
And with the higher grav beers such as barley wines..they often don't even become drinkable for a year.

That's good to know too as I've read that four months was the time frame to drink it by. It's tough to make heads or tails of all the different things I've been reading and know which are accurate.

Quote:
But before you commit, play around with the mr beer or the smaller carboy, work on your technique...even make up small batches of beer recipes found here and ferment them in your mr. beer....And then when you do step up to larger batches...

That'll probably be the route I take once I get the first one under my belt :-)

Quote:
don't throw away the mr beer...you can use it for apfelwein

Speaking of which, I have the Apfelwein recipe but it's not clear how to make it using the Mr. Beer. Do you just halve it or is there some other modifications to the recipe that need to be made for it to work in MRB?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #329
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwizzit

Speaking of which, I have the Apfelwein recipe but it's not clear how to make it using the Mr. Beer. Do you just halve it or is there some other modifications to the recipe that need to be made for it to work in MRB?
2 1/2 gallons of applejuice and a half pound of the corn sugar will do it for the Mr. Beer...I'd pitch the whole packet of whatever yeast you choose...If you use montrachet it will be extreemly dry...if you want something semi sweet add a quarter pound of Lactose. Or research on Ed's thread what people have said about using different yeasts. Some of them won't ferment to complete dryness....

Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #330
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
2 1/2 gallons of applejuice and a half pound of the corn sugar will do it for the Mr. Beer......
The original recipe calls for 5 gallons of Apple Juice and 2 pounds of Dextrose so I going to go with 2.5 Gallons of juice and 1lb of dextrose, will 1/2 pound be enough?