Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #3101
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ View Post
I just got a Mr. Beer kit and I plan on brewing my first batch. I've been reading this board for a few days and you guys are tremendous.

Believe it or not, I don't have a 3 qt pot or 1 gallon container required for the Mr. Beer process. I am saving PET bottles for the first brew.
My question is, is there anything else I need or should buy? I have a feeling I will be upgrading to a new system after a batch or 2, but I want to try the basics first. Is there anything I should get that will help my Mr. Beer kit, as well as being useful in a new set up? Would a bigger pot or container be useful? Thanks.
A good sized chili pot is a good investment.

As for other helpful things:
1) a hydrometer
2) an airlock (you have to modify the MrB keg to use it, but there are ways to do that if you search around)
3) a grain bag (re-useable nylon bag you can soak grains in)
4) a hops bag (keep separate from the grain bag)
5) glass bottles and a capper (you can save non-screw-on bottles yourself - I use a lot of Sam Adams bottles - and the wing capper + caps is pretty reasonably priced)
6) Irish moss/whirlfloc
7) Fermcap-S/silicone anti-foaming agent
8) Kreamyx/head enhancer
9) Fermentation chamber
10) Pre-made carbonation tabs
11) a bottling bucket
12) a large thermos (2-3 gallon, for mashing, if you do partial mash)
13) thermometers of various types
14) a refractometer
15) a five-gallon set up, but only if you go through your beer too fast
16) a dedicated beer fridge

17) ...and a dirndl for your wife to wear.
oktoberfest dirndl: oktoberfest dirndl

These are all just nice to have. The MrB is actually self-contained, except for the pot, but over time if you are into making your own beer, you will collect a lot of this stuff for Christmas and birthdays and whatnot.

(I'm still waiting for 17... )

Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #3102
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 35

LMAO, Justibone That is too funny.

Thanks for a helpful list too!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #3103
RTPalmer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I have a question. What does Irish moss/whirflok do? I actually gotta ask my local brew supply guy a question because this second kit he put together for me when he was drenking and put 3 tabs in the kit for a 5gal setup, Haha. Pretty sure the other two are extra but I don't know. But yea, what do these tabs do anywho?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #3104
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPalmer View Post
So I have a question. What does Irish moss/whirflok do? I actually gotta ask my local brew supply guy a question because this second kit he put together for me when he was drenking and put 3 tabs in the kit for a 5gal setup, Haha. Pretty sure the other two are extra but I don't know. But yea, what do these tabs do anywho?
It's a clarifyer(SP)
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #3105
jafty
Recipes 

I think Mr Beer is a mixed bag. My first kit was the advise of my local HBS. I started with zero experiance and 150.00$, bought a bucket and a cooper draught LME kit. the beer was bland and had no head retention...I don't think I spelt that right, but anyway I knew what good beer tasted like and just started reading. my next batch was a mac&jack clone with steped grains and DME and OMG killer beer.

I don't know about Mr Beer, but I'll bet that it wouldn't come close to the quality of something made with a partial or AG.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #3106
soccerdude71
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Happy new year everyone. My first batch has been in the LBF for a week. I have no problem waiting as long as it takes...
The temp here in southern cal has been pretty unseasonably warm, and the temp around the LBF is around 68-75. If I understand correctly, this is probably going to cause a change in expected flavor, but do you think I should stop the fermentation earlier than I planned (was planning 2 weeks)?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #3107
HooniverseJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdude71 View Post
Happy new year everyone. My first batch has been in the LBF for a week. I have no problem waiting as long as it takes...
The temp here in southern cal has been pretty unseasonably warm, and the temp around the LBF is around 68-75. If I understand correctly, this is probably going to cause a change in expected flavor, but do you think I should stop the fermentation earlier than I planned (was planning 2 weeks)?
Fellow SoCal resident here, but I am closer to the beach... so temps are a tad cooler. I'm leaving my beer in primary for 21 days.

Hooniverse.com
JeffGlucker.com

Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #3108
HooniverseJeff
Recipes 

Bottling with Mr Beer question...

All I have right now is the Mr Beer kit and the eight 1-liter bottles. I am considering running out and grabbing an auto siphon, bottling bucket and bottle filler as it seems like those tools make life easier...

Is it worth it to grab that equipment and use it in conjunction with the Mr Beer kit? If I get all that, I will also then prime the whole batch in the bottling bucket, rather than via each bottle as the kit suggests.

Is this a good way to proceed? I'm about 2 weeks away from bottling... Jan 9th will be 14 days, but I think I want to push it out to 21 days.

Hooniverse.com
JeffGlucker.com

Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #3109
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Bulk priming is defiantly a better way. You can bottle one at a time. I often do. But for 2 gallons I use my bottling bucket. You will probably want a scale to weigh out your priming sugar too.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #3110
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had never heard of Mr. Beer before joining this website.

Bottled- Blue Star Wheat clone, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIPA, Chocolate Espresso Stout, Black Hook Porter clone, Ginger Ale, Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, Peppercorn Rye Boch, Cream of Three Crops
Future- Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone