Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 01-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #191
Fire Me Boy!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcowboy78
if you pitched with liquid yeast the cost might be worth the try. people have brewed on top of the yeast cake before. if your sanitation was good to begin with and you have another wort ready to go right after you bottle the current batch then there is really little risk in it, but you beer might not turn out as good as expected or it might have an infection. i am just not sure how it would be in the open system of a mr. beer.
May not try it... not with a mix. I had a problem with explosive fermentation when I pitched the liquid yeast. I can't imagine it would be any better on top of the yeast. I understanding using the yeast cake will lead to very fast, vigorous fermentation.

That would probably be messy!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #192
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
May not try it... not with a mix. I had a problem with explosive fermentation when I pitched the liquid yeast. I can't imagine it would be any better on top of the yeast. I understanding using the yeast cake will lead to very fast, vigorous fermentation.

That would probably be messy!

Don't screw the lid on tight!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #193
Fire Me Boy!
Recipes 

ROFL

I don't ever screw the lid on tight... my flow over was just foam coming out of the lock.

ROFL

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #194
Fire Me Boy!
Recipes 

I think I just took the next step to going full bore with this thing.

I just bought two 3-gal. glass carboys (I have two small Mr. Beer kegs)... was thinking about using them for batch priming, but now I'm thinking about using them as primary fermenters rather than the Mr. Beer kegs.

I like the idea of staying to smaller batches... I really like trying a lot of different beers, and while I like beer, I don't drink it all the time. I just like the flavor of homebrew better.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #195
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
I think I just took the next step to going full bore with this thing.

I just bought two 3-gal. glass carboys (I have two small Mr. Beer kegs)... was thinking about using them for batch priming, but now I'm thinking about using them as primary fermenters rather than the Mr. Beer kegs.

I like the idea of staying to smaller batches... I really like trying a lot of different beers, and while I like beer, I don't drink it all the time. I just like the flavor of homebrew better.
Yeah carboys or ale pails work better than mr beer kegs, because you can always add a blow off tube if need be.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #196
Fire Me Boy!
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjonsharp
Yeah carboys or ale pails work better than mr beer kegs, because you can always add a blow off tube if need be.
Yeah, I'm going to start using the carboy for the primary fermenter, then use the Mr. Beer kegs for bottling.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #197
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

nice picture of the mr. beer i looks like you taped a cherry bomb to the lid and the puked on the remains. roflmao

Bottled - I drank it all...
Primary #1 - Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #2 - Pomegranat Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #3 -
Planning - Irish Red, Stout???, more Apfelwein

I am a little behind but 10 gallons to date
slym2none Likes This 
Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #198
cglkaptc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Mr Beer kit right now and I just bought a 5 gallon kit. Mr.beer is cheap and when they see it at Bed Bath and Beyond they think wow how easy. I thank Mr Beer because without it I might still be drinking Natural Light (I am a college student).
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #199
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stupid question, but I have been reading the post here and in the books about primary and secondary fermentation, transferring from one container to the other, flowing too fast when siphoning, etc.

Isn't the open top while transferring the beer from one container to the other bad for the beer, or at least provides a chance to contaminate it?

Or is it that if you let it aerate while transferring it that the beer can get screwed up?

I want to use a carboy for fermenting as Fire Me Boy said, then transfer over to the MRB keg as a secondary a few weeks before bottling. I was going to siphon it over, but was worried about contaminating the beer while the top was off the container.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 AM   #200
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

After primary fermentation is over, you almost have to try to contaminate it with something that will cause a problem. Your much more likely to have a problem if the second vessel isn't properly sanitized. Also, the trick to making a good transfer is to avoid any and all splashing so as to avoid mixing oxygen into your brew.