Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #111
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

here's a dumb question, I've let my wort ferment for 2 weeks, put the suggested amount of sugar in the bottles and bottled the entire brew in all 8 bottles.

the bottles have sat outside the fridge for a week, when opened the carbonation was perfect, however the beer was sweet, in fact, very sweet...

should I just let them sit for longer?

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #112
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
here's a dumb question, I've let my wort ferment for 2 weeks, put the suggested amount of sugar in the bottles and bottled the entire brew in all 8 bottles.

the bottles have sat outside the fridge for a week, when opened the carbonation was perfect, however the beer was sweet, in fact, very sweet...

should I just let them sit for longer?
YES!! And while you're at it, get them warmer. Most houses stay in the mid 60's in wintertime, and that is too cold for ale yeast. They want 70F at a minimum. From my limited experience, carbonation takes 1 week at 75F, 2 weeks at 70F, 3.5 weeks at 65F, and as much as 2 months at 63F. That's just how it works. Move those bottles into the kitchen and in a couple days, they'll have great carbonation and the wierd sweetness will disapear.... it's like magic.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #113
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
YES!! And while you're at it, get them warmer. Most houses stay in the mid 60's in wintertime, and that is too cold for ale yeast. They want 70F at a minimum. From my limited experience, carbonation takes 1 week at 75F, 2 weeks at 70F, 3.5 weeks at 65F, and as much as 2 months at 63F. That's just how it works. Move those bottles into the kitchen and in a couple days, they'll have great carbonation and the wierd sweetness will disapear.... it's like magic.
well then, i think i'm going to move the beer into the closet under the stairs, our townhouse's heater is in there and the closet stays a nice 75-80F... i'll make sure to put them in the far corner away from the heater itself where i've got a constant temp read of around 76F....

in the summer this very corner stays very cool, around 68F-72F and is a perfect spot for my cigars, i've been monitoring this spot for months anyway...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #114
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well i just got a mr. beer for xmas. i started brewing my first batch on new years day (would have started it sooner but had family in town and no time) the mix it came with is WPA. it has been 7 days now and according to the directions it is looking like all is going well my yeast is already settled and the beer is starting to clear out. i am gonna give it another 5 days till i bottle it. from what i have been reading it sounds like longer is better. i am already planning to try a chocolate beer on my next batch. both my fiance and i like young's double choclate does any one have any suggestions for a clone to this. the mr beer help line suggests using their oatmeal stout with unprocessed coco powder. also down the road i would like to try to make a milk stout. any advise would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #115
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just looked at them again. They are at CVS and I tend to spend some time there (since I'm downing 21 *$@*#@*! pills a day). I can certainly see how it is very appealing and tempting to buy. Looks pretty simple.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #116
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcowboy78
well i just got a mr. beer for xmas. i started brewing my first batch on new years day (would have started it sooner but had family in town and no time) the mix it came with is WPA. it has been 7 days now and according to the directions it is looking like all is going well my yeast is already settled and the beer is starting to clear out. i am gonna give it another 5 days till i bottle it. from what i have been reading it sounds like longer is better. i am already planning to try a chocolate beer on my next batch. both my fiance and i like young's double choclate does any one have any suggestions for a clone to this. the mr beer help line suggests using their oatmeal stout with unprocessed coco powder. also down the road i would like to try to make a milk stout. any advise would be appreciated.

thanks
Don't blindly add cocoa powder to beer. It doesn't turn out the way you would think it should. The chocolate TASTE in beer actually comes from a type of Barley malt that is called chocolate because it has been cooked under very specific conditions to create that flavour. Real chocolate is partially fermented by the yeast and results in a VERY bitter chocolate flavour. Look around in the Recipe Forum here at HBT and I'm sure you'll find a recipe or two to your liking. If you need a recipe converted from all-grain style to extract style, just post that in it's own thread and I'm sure we'll find someone who can do that for you

Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #117
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Don't blindly add cocoa powder to beer. It doesn't turn out the way you would think it should. The chocolate TASTE in beer actually comes from a type of Barley malt that is called chocolate because it has been cooked under very specific conditions to create that flavour. Real chocolate is partially fermented by the yeast and results in a VERY bitter chocolate flavour. Look around in the Recipe Forum here at HBT and I'm sure you'll find a recipe or two to your liking. If you need a recipe converted from all-grain style to extract style, just post that in it's own thread and I'm sure we'll find someone who can do that for you

thank you when i am ready i will look more into it. i still have not even bottled my first batch yet

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #118
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally bottled today. (I pitched 12/26) So that means I fought the urge and waited 13 days (almost to the hour!) to bottle (since I don't have a hydrometer..but its in the mail) and reduce the risk of bottle bombs

I managed to have about two glasses of brew on top of the sediment that I poured after I filled my bottles.

This is me enjoying my handiwork..

Im thinking of leaving these to warm condition for a couple weeks and then open em up around Super Bowl...does that make sense as far as timing?

PS beer tastes really good, thanks to all you who said to wait on the fermentation. I wish that i could have boiled some hops in the wort or dry hopped it.. that my only problem with this is that it has little hop flavors..

So how easy is it to get a batch of Apfelwein started?
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #119
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloHoppa
So how easy is it to get a batch of Apfelwein started?
Pretty tough. Apple juice, sugar, yeast. Takes a whopping 20 minutes if you include the sanitizing time

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33986

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #120
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Pretty tough. Apple juice, sugar, yeast. Takes a whopping 20 minutes if you include the sanitizing time

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33986
effin EAC

Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale