Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 01-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #1011
Henny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

MFDave, if it has been fermenting for more than 48 hours, I wouldnt worry too much. The ABV should be pretty high already.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #1012
dogfishandi
Recipes 

Im pretty disappointed in the West Coast Pale Ale. im assuming it sucks because of all the sugar you use to make it. i followed all the directions, fermented for 12 days, bottle conditioned for close to 3.5 weeks and it tastes like apples and champagne. extremely cidery and hardly no carbonation. i thought i might have done something wrong, but a friend of mine brought over some WCPA he brewed in his mr beer. he bottled it in a 1/2 gallon growler and let it condition for about a week and it tasted almost exactly the same as mine. i brewed an all malt porter in my mr beer, so i hope ot comes out better. i bottled a week ago, but when i tasted this one out of the fermenter, it tasted a lot more maltier, but still a little bit cidery.

WCPA

Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1013
MFDave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henny View Post
MFDave, if it has been fermenting for more than 48 hours, I wouldnt worry too much. The ABV should be pretty high already.
Good to know. It's been fermenting for almost two weeks now. I just got paranoid of some airborne contaminate ruining my precious. Thanks for the info Henny!

Primary: Pomegranate Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff (w/ some slight alterations)
Bottle Conditioning: Die Apple! Apfelwein, Pear Soda (w/ vanilla & cinnamon), Mango Soda, Orange-Cream Soda, Ginger Ale
Awesoming: Die Apple! Apfelwein
Up Next: Cherry Vanilla Cider

Old 01-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #1014
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfishandi View Post
Im pretty disappointed in the West Coast Pale Ale.
I've always told people MrBeer is like Cheese Pizza. It's OK but you would have a better pizza by adding toppings, right? Once you freshen up the standard recipes with additional malt extract or steeping grains - then you got a really good beer.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #1015
dogfishandi
Recipes 

yea, thats basically what i did with my 2nd batch so i got a lot higher hopes for this one.
WCPA

Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #1016
dogfishandi
Recipes 

im sorta want to take back that last comment about the WCPA. i was going on the taste after 2 weeks in the bottle. i just tasted 2 bottles after 3 weeks 1day and they kinda of lost the cidery taste for the most part and definately had some excellant carbonation (i used cooper's carbonation drops when i bottled). it tasted like most of your domestic beers. my father really enjoyed, kept saying how fresh it tasted, mind you his favorite beer is coors light. i guess it just goes to show you patience is the key when it comes to conditioning.
WCPA

Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #1017
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
im sorta want to take back that last comment about the WCPA. i was going on the taste after 2 weeks in the bottle. i just tasted 2 bottles after 3 weeks 1day and they kinda of lost the cidery taste for the most part and definately had some excellant carbonation (i used cooper's carbonation drops when i bottled). it tasted like most of your domestic beers. my father really enjoyed, kept saying how fresh it tasted, mind you his favorite beer is coors light. i guess it just goes to show you patience is the key when it comes to conditioning.
Lesson 1.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #1018
Irishman78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
That will do it. Add malt instead of sugar.
Some sugar is not bad for a recipe, some recipes are improved by it. But it must be in proportion.Until you get used to recipe formulation I'd stick with 1Lb max for a 5 gallon beer and 0.5Lb for 2.5 Gallon.
The easiest way is to buy bags of DME and use DME instead of the booster/sugar
So instead of using corn sugar, use DME? I bought some at my RHBS (Remote Home Brew Store...LOL), so I am ready to go with DME.

Will I use the same amount as I would dextrose?

Primary #1: Oatmeal Tiger Stout
Primary #2: Rocket City Red
Secondary #1: Tuskaloosa IPA
Secondary #2: Alabama Pils
Mr. Beer Fermenter (4): All empty
Conditioning: Vulcan Butt Porter, Apfelwein
Refrigerating: Cherry Wheat Ale
Up Next: Apfelwein

Old 01-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #1019
dogfishandi
Recipes 

im planning on making an IPA using my mr.beer fermenter. i have
- 3.3lb Amber Malt Extract
- 2oz. columbus pellet hops
- 2oz. simcoe pellet hops
- 7grams Cooper's dry ale yeast.

i plan on bringing 1 gallon of water to a boil adding my extract, and then boiling for about 45minutes while adding about 3 1/2 oz. of the hops. then im going to fill the fermenter up with 1 gallon of cold water and dump in my wort. im going to put a muslin hop bag over the top of the fermentor while pouring the wort in to get all the ho particles, or should i just use the hop bag while boiling? does all of this sound like a good recipe, im open to any suggestions at all.
WCPA

Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #1020
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Im pretty disappointed in the West Coast Pale Ale. im assuming it sucks because of all the sugar you use to make it. i followed all the directions, fermented for 12 days, bottle conditioned for close to 3.5 weeks and it tastes like apples and champagne. extremely cidery and hardly no carbonation.
I let mine sit in the Mr Beer for basically a month, in the bottles for two weeks and I've just started refrigeration. I tried one for reference after a day in the fridge. If anything, I'd say it suffered from lack of taste. Carbed very well,(did the corn sugar and water mixed into a bottle bucket.) good mouthfeel, just didn't have much taste. No hops at all, reminded me of a Miller lite. Yeah, that's about as suck ass as it tasting like cider, but I wonder if the difference isn't fermentation time or bottling sugar or both. At least it's beer.... more or less tasteless beer, but no hints of anything other than beer.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein