Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 01-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #991
Irishman78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would like to use a secondary fermenter like I have read about on this forum, but I have a few questions:

1) If I am fermenting in the Mr. Beer fermenter, what should I use as a secondary?
2) What is the best method of transferring from primary to secondary?
3) Should I ferment 1 week for primary and 1 week for secondary?

Primary #1: Oatmeal Tiger Stout
Primary #2: Rocket City Red
Secondary #1: Tuskaloosa IPA
Secondary #2: Alabama Pils
Mr. Beer Fermenter (4): All empty
Conditioning: Vulcan Butt Porter, Apfelwein
Refrigerating: Cherry Wheat Ale
Up Next: Apfelwein

Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #992
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman78 View Post
I would like to use a secondary fermenter like I have read about on this forum, but I have a few questions:

1) If I am fermenting in the Mr. Beer fermenter, what should I use as a secondary?
2) What is the best method of transferring from primary to secondary?
3) Should I ferment 1 week for primary and 1 week for secondary?
1. While I have not done anything in secondary I have a 3 gallon carboy (Culligan water bottle) that I plan to use someday.
2. Tranfer with an racking cane via siphon. An autosiphon is what I use.
3. IMHO I would do 2 weeks in primay then either 1 or 2 weeks in secondary. It would depend on the beer style. Many do not use secondaries unless, dry hopping or racking onto fruit for fruit flavored beers.

Cheers,
Stan

Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #993
Irishman78
Recipes 

Well when me and my buddy served our 1st batch (WCPA), one person made the comment that it was a bit cloudy and had some sediment in one some of the 1 liter bottles, so I thought secondary? Anyway, maybe I do not need one after all. I am just trying to stay ahead of the game when to comes to making mistakes versus avoiding mistakes.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #994
mambitigre
Recipes 

Default newby

hi there , i'm new to Mr. Beer , and new to the forum , a friend of mine gave me the Mr beer as a christmas present , i already make my first batch of pale ale , it's in the bottles right now , for my next batch i would like to put the priming sugar in the keg instead of bottle by bottle , i know that i have to boiled in water and then add it to the wort , but how much sugar shoul i used ? i know i read it in the forum somewhere but i can't find it , thanks for your help.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #995
Irishman78
Recipes 

mambitigre,

I am a bit of a n00b, but even so, I would suggest taking the 2 1/2 teaspoons per 1 litre bottle, multiplying by 8 bottles, and using that amount to prime your fermenter before bottling.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #996
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
mambitigre,

I am a bit of a n00b, but even so, I would suggest taking the 2 1/2 teaspoons per 1 litre bottle, multiplying by 8 bottles, and using that amount to prime your fermenter before bottling.
The problem with that is you need to stir in the sugar and that will mix up the trub (yeast)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #997
Irishman78
Recipes 

Gotcha. I used corn sugar when priming the bottles for my last batch, and I am hoping it will take some of the cidery taste out.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #998
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Well when me and my buddy served our 1st batch (WCPA), one person made the comment that it was a bit cloudy and had some sediment in one some of the 1 liter bottles, so I thought secondary? Anyway, maybe I do not need one after all. I am just trying to stay ahead of the game when to comes to making mistakes versus avoiding mistakes.
From what I am gathering, the use of the secondary is a personal choice. Some sediment in the on the bottom of the bottle is normal. It is the yeast falling out of solution after carbinating your beer. I haven't opened a bottle of my WCPA yet and have not seen it in a glass. I bottled one in a soda bottle and it looks a little cloudy yet. It has only been bottled for 9 days. Time will tell.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #999
emr454
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hi all, first post here. I, too, received a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and have a few questions.

This is not my first experience with homebrewing beer. I brewed a 5 gallon batch of muntons IPA bitter that didnt come out so well(not sure why). Anyways, I am fermenting a batch of the Mr. Beer Octoberfest, and I added some ground up toasted barley flakes during the boil. I now know that I shouldnt have ground them up, and maybe shouldnt have added them at all. After the boil was done, I poured the wort, ground up barley and all into the fermenter. Its been 5 days and it appeared to be fermenting as it should.

So, after all that, my question is, did I screw it up by putting the ground up barley in the fermenter and leaving it there? Is there any way to remove it without harming the beer, or should I just let it sit? Thanks in advance for the help.

Eric

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #1000
mambitigre
Recipes 

Default thanks for the advice!

thanks for your prompt answer , the problem is that I noticed that some bottles are rock hard and some are not , so I Iím looking for a more even result , I will try to stir it as careful as possible , irisman I will follow your advice on the amount of sugar! Thanks again.