Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Good Morning Magpie (Mulberry Mead w/ Coffee)

Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
dougdecinces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Good Morning Magpie (Mulberry Mead w/ Coffee)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 4.25
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 1
Color: Deep Purple
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 days, 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation: 14 days
Tasting Notes: Rich berry flavor & aroma. Coffee level\'s perfect & lends it a chocolatey flavor. A+

New Day Meadery here in Indianapolis makes a sparkling, low-gravity mead with black raspberries and coffee that is absolutely to die for. Sadly, it's only a winter seasonal. I was craving some last summer and noticed I had 12 lbs of mulberries in my freezer, so I decided to clone it the best I could using information from their website. It turned out wonderfully. Since spring is (finally) just around the corner, I decided to post the recipe so everyone could enjoy it.

Ingredients:
6 lbs of honey for the fermentation
12 lbs of mulberries (or sub blackberries, boysenberries, or black raspberries).
31 ounces of honey for backsweetening (you are looking for 4.3% residual sugar, if you plan on scaling this recipe).
30 ounces of cold-pressed coffee.
Nottingham yeast (or sub any inexpensive neutral strain)
Yeast nutrient
Pectic Enzyme
Potassium Metabisulfite
Potassium Sorbate

Instructions:

1) Don’t skimp on the ingredients! Use a high-quality honey and coffee.
2) Stir 6 pounds honey and your yeast nutrient with 3.75 gallons of water to make 4.25 gallons. Ferment with two packs of a Nottingham. Ferment until completely dry (mine took 4 weeks).
3) Freeze and then thaw the berries to break down the cell walls. Add them to a 6 gallon carboy or Better Bottle. Add the appropriate amount of pectic enzyme and potassium metabisulfite, cover with a stopper and airlock and let sit overnight.
4) Rack the mead onto the fruit. Let ferment an additional 10-14 days. For the first few days punch down the cap to make sure there is no infection.
5) Rack the mead to a keg and treat with potassium metabisulfite and sorbate. Let it sit 24 hours.
6) For backsweeting: stir the 31 ounces of honey with just enough water to dissolve. Add the honey and the cold-pressed coffee to the keg. Purge with CO2 and shake to combine.
6) Force carb the mead to approximately 2.6 volumes of CO2. You are best off letting this cold crash for a week for all of the coffee grounds to settle to the bottom of the keg.

Bonus: How to make cold-pressed coffee. Grind your beans fresh and use a coarse grind. Add the coffee grounds to a large jug or Mason jar. Add enough water to equal 2-3 times the volume of coffee grounds. Let sit at room temperature out of sunlight for 12-24 hours. When ready, strain it with a sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth.

I wish I had pictures for this, because it was absolutely beautiful to look at: midnight purple with a persistent lavender head. It's tart and jammy with just the right amount of sweetness and coffee. Even better, the coffee gives the mead a chocolatey flavor that plays well with the berries. Cheers .

Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
noblesquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Interesting idea, though I'll say that each of those berries are vastly different from one another, with the black raspberries being the most intense and flavorful, in my experience.
Current: Mead-Blackcurrant, Coffee Metheglin, Vanilla Chile Metheglin, Mojito, Macadamia Blossom Trad, Carrot Mead, Grapefruit Ginger, Dry Tupelo Trad, Elderberry. Beer- Exportbier, Am. Brown Ale, Märzenbier, RIS, Doppelbock, Mosaic-Golden Promis SMASH, Bramling Cross Strong Bitter

Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblesquirrel View Post
Interesting idea, though I'll say that each of those berries are vastly different from one another, with the black raspberries being the most intense and flavorful, in my experience.
A friend of mine brewed the same recipe, using blackberries instead. And you are right, it was a bit different. Mine was a more vivid purple and sweeter and more chocolatey; while his was a little more acidic and accentuated the coffee more. I think more than anything, though, my point was to use whatever you have and it'll still taste good. Because I know black raspberries can be expensive/hard to find.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:04 AM   #4
dougdecinces
Recipes 

I just killed another keg of this a few days ago. This time it was about 50:50 blackberries and mulberries. I used a Brazilian blend from a local roaster. This is so good, I am trying to figure out when I can make it again.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
HawleyFarms
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

So if I am reading this right, you were making a 6 gallon batch. So double checking my math, a 1 gallon test batch would need:

1lb of honey for fermentation
2lbs of berries for racking
5-6oz of honey for sweetening
5oz of coffee

Is my match right on this? How long did you age this before drinking?
Primaries 3, 4 & 5: Szechuan & Spice Hibiscus Braggot, Maple Sap Rye Kolsch and Empty
On Deck: Strawberry Wine, SA's Cold Snap "Not Quite Clone", Quick Mead dry yeast experiments

Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawleyFarms View Post
So if I am reading this right, you were making a 6 gallon batch. So double checking my math, a 1 gallon test batch would need:

1lb of honey for fermentation
2lbs of berries for racking
5-6oz of honey for sweetening
5oz of coffee

Is my match right on this? How long did you age this before drinking?
I made the recipe for 4.25 gallons because I did my secondary in a 5 gallon carboy. After the space taken up by the fruit and the yeast cake, I ended up with about 4.25 gallons and then the coffee and honey brought it up to close to 5 gallons in the keg. I would take the information I gave you and divide by four.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:10 AM   #7
HawleyFarms
Recipes 

Yes, thank you! Was reading on my mobile app earlier so I couldn't see all the specifics. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
HawleyFarms
Recipes 

Finally going to get a chance to make this over the weekend but more than likely with either us-05 or belle saison since it's what I have on hand at the moment.
Primaries 3, 4 & 5: Szechuan & Spice Hibiscus Braggot, Maple Sap Rye Kolsch and Empty
On Deck: Strawberry Wine, SA's Cold Snap "Not Quite Clone", Quick Mead dry yeast experiments

Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawleyFarms View Post
Finally going to get a chance to make this over the weekend but more than likely with either us-05 or belle saison since it's what I have on hand at the moment.
US-05 works fine, too. I've made it with that yeast before with no problem.