Valuebrew Easy Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Anyone ever make this extract kit? Just bought it and couldn't find any reviews anywhere (perhaps not a good sign). It was pretty cheap, and I figured I could at very least use it as my base and tweak it.

Along with the 5 gallon kit, I got a muslin bag and us_05 (instead of the muntons yeast that was included) and the total with shipping was right around $32.

In case you're interested, here's a link. 10% off for the next few hours.

http://www.valuebrew.com/products/easy-amber-ale-extract-kit

And here's a link to the recipe/directions:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0206/2366/files/Easy_Amber_Ale_Extract_Kit.pdf?1323

Any suggestions to tweaking the recipe would be appreciated.

And as far as the yeast goes, would you guys use us-05 or a different dry type for this style of beer?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

So I'm brewing this on Thursday, and am a bit concerned that it's not really going to end up within the guidelines for an amber ale (according to Beersmith). When I put everything in to Beersmith, nothing is within range of the American amber ale. Gravity, bitterness, color, and ABV are all below the low end of the Beersmith range.

So would you guys suggest just doing the recipe as is or tweaking it to bump up those things? If I were to change some things to increase those measures, what would you do?

In case you don't want to follow the link, here are the ingredients in the kit:

Fermentables: 6 lbs of Gold LME
Specialty Grains: 2 oz. CaraAroma, 8 oz. Caramel 80L, 8 oz. Victory
Hops: 1 oz. Hallertau, 1 oz. Fuggles

I'll be using US-05.

Seems like a normal amber ale. I wouldn't bet the farm on beersmith. If you have more specialty grains on hand, I would up the caramel by 8oz. But brew it as is, if you like it just tweak from there. 32 bucks is not a bad price.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

In case you don't want to follow the link, here are the ingredients in the kit:

Fermentables: 6 lbs of Gold LME
Specialty Grains: 2 oz. CaraAroma, 8 oz. Caramel 80L, 8 oz. Victory
Hops: 1 oz. Hallertau, 1 oz. Fuggles

I'll be using US-05.
I know this is old now, but wanted to hear how you liked this kit. I brewed it and it all of my family and friends loved it.

If I had to pick one word, I'd say "forgettable". In fact, I had to look back in Beersmith to ensure I actually brewed this beer.

But, it could be worse, because I don't have any bottles hanging around.

Back