Anyone else ever done this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkensatyr

Reaction score
Have you Bruised, cracked, or strained a rib? This is friggin killing me! If so, how long did it stay painful. I have a pretty large threshold for pain....but I gotta say when I can not sleep for fear of rolling over and can not breath a full breath it gets pretty annoying pretty fast. I think it is just bruised because I really do not remember hitting my chest on anything in the last few days.

Day one was Saturday while camping. Wasn't so bad then, just uncomfortable. After getting back home on Sunday though, could not take more than half a breath and can NOT lay on my left side. Monday took a Darvocet and about 6 IIPA's and passed out for the night. Tue can finally take a full breath again but hurts like hell. Last night could not get more than an hour of sleep at a time. Would twist or breath to heavy and shoot back awake. Today this thing is ok as long as I don't breath, move, sneeze, think about moving breathing or sneezing.

/rant Sorry to go on about it. When I dropped my bike doing 80 it wasn't this bad. Just couldn't put weight on my right leg. Least I could breath.

broken ribs suck. First one I got it took about 2 months before I could sleep normal. second time wasn't as bad, after about a month I was good to go.

Broken ribs can hurt for months although it won't be excruciating like it is now. Instead, you'll breathe deeply and feel a twinge, that kind of thing. When I bruised my ribs last summer it was 6 months before I stopped getting the occasional pain.

Yeah, mine hurt for about a month when I broke it. The weird thing was after 3 days it hurt MUCH worse than right after I did it.

When it happened, I knew immediately that I cracked a rib. I knew there was nothing a doctor could do except say, "yup, you broke a rib, tough it out." but after three days the skin on my chest right above the break started going numb for extended periods of time. I finally broke down and when to the Urgent Care and the doctor told me, "Yup, you broke a rib. There's nothing I can do for you." And the skin going numb is normal.

<Sigh> $250 down the drain.

After about a month, it only hurt if I sneezed. It's been about 2.5 months now and I'm back to normal.

I have no idea what I did to it, I assume it is only a bruise because there is no...wait for it......Bruising. Ah well I refuse to go to a Dr. for an injury that has no "cure" other than wait it out.

Tailbone is 900000000000 x worse.

I recently had my tonsils and Uvula removed. I was taking 50mg of percoset every 4 hrs and barely keeping me above the pain. 2 weeks I lost 30lbs from inability to eat or drink. Worse pain ever.

yeah I had my floating ribs seperated in an accident almost 15 years ago, and they still hurt every once in a while if I move just right

Broke mine a couple of years back mountain biking. Hurt like a mother for over a month. Eventually gets better though.

I broke a floating rib practicing some jujitsu. Hurt like hell. it was a solid 2 months before I could sleep through the night without waking up, or get out of a chair without wanting to crumple. I was just about back to normal when I popped it again 'wrestling' with the SWMBO.

I bruised one badly during a fire drill on the sub. Slipped going through a hatch and landed on the edge. Since we were on a Westpac op and the corpsman said there weren't any breaks, I just lived with it for 6 weeks. The whole side of my ribcage was black&blue followed by green&yellow. Still hurt a lot by the time we got back to San Diego and I got an x-ray, but no break.

Virtuous said:
I was just about back to normal when I popped it again 'wrestling' with the SWMBO.

Yeah....that was*interesting* last night. Oh well live and learn.

I did something to one of my ribs while leaning over the edge of a box reaching into a van here at work. I felt it "pop" and knew something wasn't right. I don't think I broke it but man oh man it hurt like hell for about two weeks. Today is really the first day I haven't noticed it. :drunk:

Ize

Well, after 2 weeks, Finally broke down and went in for X-rays....No breaks, just a pulled muscle but damn...... come on Lortab's

I broke all my ribs along the left side of my sternum, actually, separated them from the sternum would be a better description. I still have a little dent on that side, and I always get pain if I sleep wrong or occasionally when the weather changes. That crap hurt for a few months straight once I left the hospital.

I got hit directley in the cage by a 12" ductile iron watermain pipe and broke 2 ribs it took 6 mothes before I could sleep through the night, the only thing I took for pain was Tylonol Arthreitis it works great.

I don’t know if i broke a rib or pulled something or what but it happened Tuesday when i coughed.

Sneezing/coughing now brings me to tears...holy crap it hurts.

I can feel it popping under my left arm pit...it’s weird.

Wasn’t sure i was going to make it through the brew session today but 15G of Irish Red was worth the pain.

Now to self medicate and lite the grill for some steaks...

Cheers!

CSB: About 15 years ago I had a bad case of pertussis, the cough lasted over a month. Then one day at home I coughed and felt (and heard) a snap. I about fell out of my chair from the pain. My wife had to help load me into the car. Went in to urgent care and found out I had 2 cracked ribs. The constant pneumatic pressure finally broke them. Pain was intense. They gave me a big velcro warp thing that went around my torso, and a bottle of Vicodin so I could sleep. Nothing much else they can do. One thing the doc said that was encouraging: the healing is fairly linear. Each day it will get progressively better. And it did, though it took 3-4 weeks in all. It cured my cough, as it was too painful.

But one thing that I didn't count on. I'm a "sun sneezer." A week or so after I cracked the ribs I was driving down the street, and the sun came out of the clouds. I let out a sneeze and thought I was going to pass out, it hurt so much. Luckily, I was able to pull into a nearby parking lot while I yelled out in pain.

Broken ribs suck, but it will get better. Might take a month.

Latest posts

Back