National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast clumps in primary-I think!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast clumps in primary-I think!

Made a starter. Decanted part of it and shook the rest up with the yeast on the bottom and added it to my primary. After 2-3 hours, I checked it and there were clumps of white stuff laying all over the surface of the wort. I thought about mold but it happened to quickly. Got up this morning and the clumps were diffused all over the surface and it was fermenting. Any ideas what the heck this is or what caused it? AND should I be concerned? Was it yeast?

If this should be in another forum section, I apologize.
Also, i have done enough batches that it was not the beginning of a kraeusen. And this morning there seems to be a mixture of the diffused material and kraeusen on the surface.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

99 times out of 100, the answer to "What the f*** is this wierd S*** in my fermenter??!???!!" is: YEAST

Especially in a dark beer, yeast looks freakish.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
99 times out of 100, the answer to "What the f*** is this wierd S*** in my fermenter??!???!!" is: YEAST

Especially in a dark beer, yeast looks freakish.
i have never seen or smelled something as vile as the Whitbread yeast from wyeast at the bottom of my last stout

Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks. I never had that happen before. The clumps were probably 1/2 inch in diameter and "nasty" looking.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My first brew in a carboy was a pitch black stout. 2 weeks into fermentation these whiteish clumps were barely breaking the surface of the beer and then melting away. One drifted close to the side of the carboy so that I could see it from the side through the black beer. It was like an ice berg, bigger below the surface. It rose up to break the surface and then slowly disintegrated, white bits falling back to the bottom of the carboy.
"Well", I said,"That must be what an infection looks like!". I damn near dumped it out. 3 weeks later, it was a really good beer.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's called krasusen. This is why ale yeast is also called "top-fermenting."

Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No it wasn't kraeusen. They formed almost immediately.