point taken.
Thanks Dave.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
JonK331
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I thought I'd revive this old thread. I just used 4 oz of honey malt in an all grain Pale Ale recipe. The beer finished at 1.008 so it should be pretty dry. Not the case. Tastes very sweet despite 42 ibus and HUGE taste of honey. If I'd have left the honey malt out, it would have been a much better beer. Let this be a warning. Be very careful with the stuff, it has a POWERFUL honey taste.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm surprised you found 4oz to be overpowering! I have a lot of the stuff from a group buy and I've used it a few times. Going to use it as my only specialty malt in a pale ale coming up, 1lb in 10 gallons.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use honey malt in an imperial IPA to balance out the 100+ IBU's (software says 142) and the 8.7% ABV. I use about a pound of it but it is quite noticeable even still. I love the stuff but have never considered it to be a 'normal' crystal type grain.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've used it in a a pale ale i did a while back and really liked the result. IMO i wouldnt go over 10% of the grain bill if you want to be able to taste anything else in the beer.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Got an American Wheat fermenting right now using Honey Malt. Fortunately I did some research before I put together the recipe and only used 3 oz in a 5.75 gallon batch. Can’t say yet how it tastes, but considering the fairly light grain bill I used, I’m feeling like I may have barely dodged a bullet even with the minimal amount I used.

I did stick my face in the bucket for whiff after the guy at the LBHS had scooped out my order, and WHEWEEE!!!

The stuff is PO'tent. That whiff was unlike any other whiff I’ve encountered in any other of the grain buckets.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love this stuff! I added 1/2 lbs to lager once making kind of Honey Munich Helles. It was great!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
AmusedBystander
Recipes 

I'm fermenting 5 gallons right now. I used 8 oz of honey malt. Can't wait to try it!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #19
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
Got an American Wheat fermenting right now using Honey Malt. Fortunately I did some research before I put together the recipe and only used 3 oz in a 5.75 gallon batch. Canít say yet how it tastes, but considering the fairly light grain bill I used, Iím feeling like I may have barely dodged a bullet even with the minimal amount I used.

I did stick my face in the bucket for whiff after the guy at the LBHS had scooped out my order, and WHEWEEE!!!

The stuff is PO'tent. That whiff was unlike any other whiff Iíve encountered in any other of the grain buckets.
yeah 3 oz might be about right when the goal is to get some significant honey flavor. I was hoping for just a subtle hint of honey but it is as if I added a full pound or even two of actual honey. it certainly is a cheaper option than buying honey and the flavor is of true honey, not honey like. I had a couple pints last night and the honey flave is starting to mellow a bit. Maybe it will come around. Strange stuff though, how the heck to they do that? I also wonder if there is more than one source for it and if so if there is any variance in potency.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Thanks for reviving this thread -- it is very relevant and timely for me. I am working on tweaking a recipe and this time was going to add just a bit of honey malt, but I also want just a hint of honey. So I'll watch it with the amount. I might brew it as early as this evening, so this is quite timely!