Revolver Blood & Honey Clone? (1st attempt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I havnt seen or heard of anyone attempting a Revolver Blood Honey clone so I'll make my first attempt this weekend. Here is what I have come up with.

BIAB Blood & Honey Clone

Recipe specifics:

Style: American Wheat
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.011
Bitterness (IBU): 20.2
Color (SRM): 4.0
ABV: 7.0%

Grain/Sugars:

9.00 lb Two-row
3.00 lb Wheat

.75 lb Honey

Hops:

0.90 oz Northern Brewer (AA 7.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 20.2 IBU
2oz Fresh Ginger (60 min)
2oz Blood Orange Peel (flame out)
.25 oz Coriander (flame out)
1 tsp Cinnamon (flame out)

Yeast/Misc:
S-05

Recipe Notes:

.75 lbs of honey at flame out

Let me know what you guys think.
I'll be using the BIAB method.

It turned out awesome, but today I am doing a side by side comparison. I will document the results here with suggestions on adjustments if needed.

This sounds awesome. I might try to brew this in the next month or so.

I assume you are in the DFW area... Have you tried the Lakewood Temptress Imperial Milk Stout? It's really good and I am trying to come up with a clone recipe for it to. I'd like to run it by a few people to see if they think it looks like it would be close.

I don't live in the DFW area but my bro in law brings me a lot of beer from there. The temptress is pretty awesome, I still have a 4 pack of it. I would suggest you try the Blood & Honey, I like it a lot, It opens a whole new world to American Wheat beers.

The results are in, the side by side tasting proved a few differences in the beers. Blood & Honey on the left, my clone on the right. The first and most obvious differences, are color and carbonation. I used red wheat in place of white wheat, the difference in SRM is small but may contribute. Also I used .75lb of local honey I get from a bee keeper I work with, this creates question marks towards the SRM the honey may add to the beer. As for carbonation, I could calculate the volumes of Co2 I have, but I'll just pressure up the keg a little.

When tasting the beers, I first noticed that the B&H had more mouth feel and/or body. This could mean four things, up the mash temp (my mash was 153), less honey or more grain, both or different yeast.

Flavor of the beer, it needs more blood orange zest, maybe the zest of two oranges instead of one. Less cinnamon, maybe 1/2 tsp instead of 1 tsp. I will post a 2nd attempt recipe soon.

IMG_20140322_120329.jpg

2nd Attempt Recipe:
Blood & Honey Clone

Recipe specifics:

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Two-row
3.00 lb Wheat

.5 lb Honey

Hops:

1 tsp ground Ginger (flame out)
4oz Blood Orange Peel (flame out)
.5 tsp Cinnamon (flame out)

Yeast/Misc:
S-05/S-04

Recipe Notes:

.5 lbs of honey at flame out

Dave,
I loved this beer visiting DFW. Plus this last Wed, I was at my local homebrew club got to share another brewers blood orange wheat. Think I'm going to model against yours! Thanks for sharing.

Jason

I think 'll try making your attempt #2 this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Quick question, did you sanitize the orange, perhaps in a vodka soak?

After seeing this thread and wanting to make something like Blood & Honey. I brewed this variation of the recipe on May 3rd:

Code:
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 71.4 % 
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 21.4 % 
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 23.7 IBUs 
0.50 tsp Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 - 
1.00 tsp Ginger Root (Boil 0.0 mins) Herb 8 - 
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 9 - 
0.25 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 10 - 
2.0 pkg Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 - 
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 13 7.1 %

I used Pilsner malt only because I have a lot more of it on hand than 2-row right now.

Mashed at 152
Original gravity 1.068, final 1.012

I had planned on using WL320 (American Wheat) but froze my starter (don't ask) so I went with 2 packets of WB-06.

The honey was Texas Huajillo and for the oranges I just zested some grocery store navels.

Side-by-side picture
blood-and-honey-small-63082.jpg

As far as taste I'd say they are similar but what I made is not a clone, a bit less orange on the nose and flavor, which I'm finding I prefer actually.

I spoke to a childhood friend the other day that raved about this beer. Does anyone have any updates on clone recipes?

I also feel in love this beer while visiting DFW and cannot get it in the Atl area. I just started search for a recipe. Wondering how attempt #2 turned out?

The beer has red wheat (around 10% +\-) & 2row pils. No coriander, no ginger. Cinnamon & allspice. Also, it has about 1/2 blood orange & half regular orange peel. Also, i believe everything revolver makes has american ale yeast. That makes for the bananaless&cloveless flavors in blood&honey.

I am not sure if you had tried emailing Grant Wood with your recipe, but he could probably give you some tips on what is in there and what isn't. He has stopped at the cap and hare homebrew club in fort worth and given a couple presentations the past 2 years.

phook, I am plugging that recipe into Beersmith and I'm getting an OG of 1.033. How do you get to 1.068 with that grain bill? Thanks!

Update: I was using the wrong equipment profile!! I brew 10 gallon batches and had that profile selected... duh!

It looks like the last post on this was last Nov. Any more info on how the 2nd recipe turned out?

Went to a brew tour at Revolver last year. I don't know what yeast they use, but it's an American strain and I know they ferment really warm. I remember the brew master said they ferment at around 72-74 Fahrenheit. He actually acted like I was crazy when I asked about the high temp, saying you don't get any off favors in the 70's. They make good beer so what do I know?

Any update on this? I love this beer and hope to find a clone recipe for it. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but I'm still working up to all-grain.

Went to a brew tour at Revolver last year. I don't know what yeast they use, but it's an American strain and I know they ferment really warm. I remember the brew master said they ferment at around 72-74 Fahrenheit. He actually acted like I was crazy when I asked about the high temp, saying you don't get any off favors in the 70's. They make good beer so what do I know?

It's an unfiltered beer. I bet the yeast they use can be cultivated from the bottle...

So how did this turn out? No juice? I show about half the ibus. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2nd Attempt Recipe:
Blood & Honey Clone

Recipe specifics:

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Two-row
3.00 lb Wheat

.5 lb Honey

Hops:

Yeast/Misc:
S-05/S-04

Recipe Notes:

How'd it turn out? No juice? I have about half the ibus. Thoughts? Thanks.

2nd Attempt Recipe:
Blood & Honey Clone

Recipe specifics:

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Two-row
3.00 lb Wheat

.5 lb Honey

Hops:

Yeast/Misc:
S-05/S-04

Recipe Notes:

We tried this recipe and upped the blood orange peel slightly. Amazing!! I liked it better than the original...I was hunting for the orange flavor in the Revolver version. We’re brewing and doubling the batch tomorrow, upping the honey slightly too.

Back