how can i use this in a beer...wheat "syrup"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am trying to learn bee keeping , and got hooked up with an older guy and spent a few hours with him today working some hives. Anyway the subject of my beer brewing came up and he asked me if I could use malted wheat in a beer. Of course I told him yes assuming he meant malted wheat grains. what he actually has is a 5 gallon bucket of thick syrupy looking stuff he said someone had given him saying it was wheat malt. I stuck my finger in and tasted it and it tastes a lot like light molasses. VERY sweet so I know I can do something with it ( as much help as he is giving for free on learning the bees, the least I can do is try to make him some beer) . How would you go about incorporating this into a beer? How can I determine how much of this to add to a beer? can I make a beer with JUST this stuff and some hops?

I would start by learning as much as you can about it. Try mixing a measured amount of it in a measured amount of water and take a gravity reading. That should give you basis on how much it will affect your OG/ABV. Maybe do a small batch (1g) or even just a starter and taste it. See what flavors it gives that you don't get from other stuff as well as how fermentable it is (based on FG).

I'm guessing it's pretty similar to wheat LME. though may be 100% wheat (where the LME is more like 50%)

i thought about the water mixing thing.. this stuff tastes GREAT would be a nice "finish" taste to a beer. I think making friends with this guy is gonna be a lot of fun.. we opened 17 of his hives today though and of the 17 ,9 were dead...completely dead no one live bee. funny thing is in a line there were 13 hives and just random dead hives....then a perfectly healthy one or two then another dead one.

Latest posts

Back