Yeast Bay--offering some Brett blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahpsp

Reaction score
Just FYI in case you aren't on the mailing list, The Yeast Bay is going to be offering homebrew sized vials for sale this Friday, 2/21/14. They have several Brett blends and a couple of intriguing looking Saison Strains. I know nothing about them.

http://www.theyeastbay.com/

I really have plenty of Brett strains but I am going to give them a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

These are up, if anyone is interested. I just got the Lochristi blend, the brett saison blend, and the vermont ale.

Sent from my VM670 using Home Brew mobile app

Vermont Ale was out in a matter of minutes but their fb page said this first offering was to help gauge interest in their strains and stock levels.

Should be nice to get a White Lab isolated version of Conan though at some point.

Any Conan or Vermont strain is super popular right now, No one has them in stock. Does anyone know what the s/h charges are to buy 1 vial from yeast bay?

Any Conan or Vermont strain is super popular right now, No one has them in stock. Does anyone know what the s/h charges are to buy 1 vial from yeast bay?

It looked like $7.95 for shipping (but included an icepack) so it comes out to $17-18ish.

I was shocked all the Conan was gone within 10 mins. I bought all of the Bretts though guys.

All of the Bretts.

I am going to do a split batch with all 3 strains in a Saison as soon as I get them.

I wanted some Conan though, I had used a culture from a can from 2012 for a year but it crapped out on me, and ECY29 was a stink bomb.

I was lucky enough to be checking e-mail right when everything came out, so I bought a vial of everything except the Northeastern Abbey.

I'm planning to get everything going quickly. The three Brett blends will get their own quart mason jars, which is what I use to keep all the Brett variants I have, feeding them periodically.

For the Saison/Brettanomyces Blend, Saison Blend, and Wallonian Farmhouse, I'm going to do a 7.5 gallon batch next weekend, doing 2.5 gallons of each.

For the Funktown Pale and Vermont Ale, I'll do a 10-gallon batch of hoppy pale ale next weekend, ultimately kegging the Vermont Ale portion and bottling the Funktown portion.

Very exciting!

I was put off by the shipping charge on a vial. Good to hear its flat rate.

Also, Bootleg Biology has a Conan isolate available, at least locally here in DC. I don't know if they ship, but I picked a vial up last week.

Yes. It was there last weekend. I think they call it Magi or something, but Nathan there told me it's a Conan isolate.

Does anyone know or strongly suspect the provenance of most of these strains? I'm guessing:

Vermont Ale - Alchemist
Northeastern Abbey - Allagash?
LoChristi Brett - DeProef?

Any thoughts on the saison blend? I'm sure some others are pretty obvious, just not to me.

My guess is the Northeast Abbey is Ommegang. Picked up Lochristi, Saison Brett, and Funktown. With those and the ECY that was released today I have lots of brewing ahead of me!

I am going to do a split batch with all 3 strains in a Saison as soon as I get them.

I wanted some Conan though, I had used a culture from a can from 2012 for a year but it crapped out on me, and ECY29 was a stink bomb.

Don't want to derail too far, but what do you mean by ECY29 was a stink bomb? What's wrong with it?

Picked up the lochristi. Ill be doing a split batch saison with lochristi and the ECY03-B I bought the other day. I have high hopes for these beers

Does anyone know the cell count in the brett blends? I thought I saw it on the website, but I can't find it now. Are people planing to use them for their primary fermentation, or pitching them after/with some sacch?

Yes, here's what they say on the product info page:

Saccharomyces/Brettanomyces/Lactobacillus/Pediococcus blends will contain a variable number of cells depending on the blend, and the approximate cell count will be listed on the ordering page.

But there is no cell count listed on the pure brett blends, only on Funktown.

Yes, here's what they say on the product info page:

But there is no cell count listed on the pure brett blends, only on Funktown.

From Policies and Product Info page:

"Cell Counts. Saccharomyces single strains and blends will contain ~80 billion cells per vial. Brettanomyces single strains and blends and Lactobacillus and Pediococcus single strains and blends will contain ~2 billion cells per vial."

If it only has Sacch it's ~80 billion/vial, only Brett, Pedio or Lacto it's ~2 billion/vial, and mixed Sacch/Brett/Lacto/Pedio will be listed on product page.

From Policies and Product Info page:

"Cell Counts. Saccharomyces single strains and blends will contain ~80 billion cells per vial. Brettanomyces single strains and blends and Lactobacillus and Pediococcus single strains and blends will contain ~2 billion cells per vial."

If it only has Sacch it's ~80 billion/vial, only Brett, Pedio or Lacto it's ~2 billion/vial, and mixed Sacch/Brett/Lacto/Pedio will be listed on product page.

Oh thanks, I knew I'd read that somewhere, I was looking at the wrong line on the page. So the amounts they are providing suggest that the blends are intended for secondary fermentation.

Oh thanks, I knew I'd read that somewhere, I was looking at the wrong line on the page. So the amounts they are providing suggest that the blends are intended for secondary fermentation.

Could probably go either way. You'd just have to build up a starter.

Don't want to derail too far, but what do you mean by ECY29 was a stink bomb? What's wrong with it?

I had problems with ECY29 stalling at 1.020, 2 different beers, and they were also pretty phenolic. I had over a year of experience with Conan with a culture that I built up in Nov 2012 that I kept going for a while but eventually turned on me so thats why I started using ECY29.

Al cultured from a can with an older generation of the pitch. Based on the time he got the can VeganBrewer was able to determine if was generation 15 or older. The Alchemist no longer goes above gen 10 now because the strain gets finicky, can get phenolic and the attenuation dips into the low 70s instead of 80% with the younger generations. I know this bc I emailed Al when I cultured Conan and offered to send it to him but he said he had a can of Heady and would culture it himself.

/derail

Here's the response I got about cell numbers in the saison/brett blend.

All Brett strains/blends are ~ 2billion per vial, as on the website Policies and Product Info page. The mixed cultures vary and are listed on the product page, though I realize I neglected to list for the saison/Brett. I'll do that now. It's approximately 58 billion cells/vial.

Here's the response I got about cell numbers in the saison/brett blend.
nice. i'm assuming that's 98-99% sacch, with just a touch of brett.

can't wait to hear of people's experiences with these yeasts & bugs, especially the brett blends. i'm looking to replace my house brett blend with something new.

nice. i'm assuming that's 98-99% sacch, with just a touch of brett.

can't wait to hear of people's experiences with these yeasts & bugs, especially the brett blends. i'm looking to replace my house brett blend with something new.

I ordered pretty much everything they were offering and am going to build up the three individual Brett blends for later use. As for the rest, I'll be doing two split batches this weekend and next and will make sure to report back:

1. Vermont Ale and Funktown: Split 10-gallon APA/IPA batch and will bottle the Funktown once it has reached an acceptable gravity.

2. Wallonian Farmhouse, Saison Blend, and and Saison/Brett Blend: Split 7.5 gallon batch 3 ways. Will keep the recipe pretty basic to let most of the character come from the yeast.

I am brewing 15 gallons of my Rye Saison this weekend and plan to use all 3 of the Brett blends split off into separate fermenters in secondary should be bottled within 6 weeks. I will report back here and on my blog with the results.

I am brewing 15 gallons of my Rye Saison this weekend and plan to use all 3 of the Brett blends split off into separate fermenters in secondary should be bottled within 6 weeks. I will report back here and on my blog with the results.

Very excited to see the results. I've never met a Brett'd saison I didn't like! There are just so many flavor compounds in the beer for the Brett to work with, it's hard to go wrong.

Good luck!

Mine arrived today. Brewing a 1.044 spelt saison (70% pils/30% spelt) with the brett/saison blend this evening. The temperature range listed for this blend is pretty low for a saison: 66-72. I think I'll keep it within that range for at least the first day or two, then let it finish up at room temperature.

Mine arrived today as well. Huge aroma when I opened the baggie, although I don't think anything spilled. I'll be sure to sanitize the outside of the vials really well before pitching, just in case.

Latest posts

Back