15 gallon kettle - What to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoEasy11

Reaction score
I am new to BIAB and I need some advice.

I am upgrading to a 15 gallon kettle for BIAB. I have 3 brands in mind but I am unsure of what bells and whistles are need at this point. Here are what I are felt the best options for me. If you have any other feelings free to suggest them.

1 - http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/boilermaker-brewpots/boilermaker-brew-pot-15-gallon/
Pro - This has all the bell and whistles, any thing you need and more.
Cons - Themometer placement seems poor, Cost $395

2 - http://spikebrewing.com/collections/15-gallon-stainless-kettles
Pro - customization, lets me pick what I need with out going over board
Con - Cost is only slightly cheaper then Blichmann if you get a similar setup

3 - http://www.bru-gear.com/store/p11/ProBoiler(tm)_15.html
Pro - Supporting a start up company, Lowest cost by far
Con - Thermometer, Unknown quality

If you could choose a set up which would you go with?
Is a sightglass good, bad, or who cares?
Is Spike side thermometer just the best setup because I probably won't be going over 5 gallons often?

All these kettles have shipping included in there prices

I'd forget the sight glass and thermometer and go with a really cheap pot. Why? Because you need only to know the initial amount of water you put in the pot for BIAB and you can easily measure that with a tape measure and calculate the volume. Since you will be only heating a relatively thin liquid, the bottom of the pot won't matter much, the liquid will circulate to keep you from getting "hot spots". The thermometer is the most critical part of all grain brewing because the temperature of the mash determines the fermentability of the wort and being off by 3 or 4 degrees is critical. A high quality thermometer as you reach strike temp is necessary but once you have that temp, the thermometer can be put away. It doesn't help to have a "sort of accurate" thermometer in the pot at all times and the probe can tear the bag when you try to remove it.

Put the money you save toward the high quality thermometer and more grains. The thermometer will determine the quality of your brew, the grains is what make beer.

I own 2 Spike Kettles. My first one was 9 gallons and I used it indoors and it's still around though I don't use it much anymore.
Last year I got a 15 gallon with the sight glass and thermometer. I do BIAB and use it about every 2-3 weeks all year long. The quality is outstanding and I have absolutely no complaints at all.
Ben and his crew are great people to work with and their prices are very competitive.

I recently upgraded my brewery. I use a Bayou Classic 62 quart stainless pot with turkey basket. I had one weld added. The pot cost $143.48 with free shipping using Amazon Prime and the weld cost $40 at my local home brew store.

I had my mother sew up a custom voile bag and use an Auber Instruments temperature probe which I insert in the center of the mash (which is why I only had one weld installed). I use a stainless ruler to measure the volume. It is just as accurate as a sight gauge but much easier to clean, much harder to break, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I went with the basket because I can hook a hoist to it to raise it above the wort which allows me to stir the water out of the grains which I have more patience for and find more effective. The basket also allows me to a large easily. Many people don't care for the basket. If you're one of those people you can get a 16 gallon stainless Bayou Classic with a spigot already installed from Amazon for $159.99.

Another consideration with BIAB is holding mash temperature. There are a lot of ways to (try to) hold mash temp but the easiest and cheapest way I've found is relectix bubble insulation. I bought a 24" tall roll for about $25 at Lowes and was able to wrap it around my pot four times with enough left over to make four round layers for the lid. I slip it over the pot and make sure its really tight around the top and have been able to hold mash temp within 1.5° in a 15° garage. The trick with insulation is completely sealing it, which makes one weld instead of two desirable to me. It would be much more difficult to seal my system with a thermometer sticking out the side. Given a weld costs $40 (not considering the thermometer) and an Auber http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=279 and probe costs about $65 shipped I'd spend the extra money on the probe which you can use in more places.

2013-12-31%2011.20.01.jpg

2013-12-31%2012.40.21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Sta...28746725?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item2ece3f3de5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Polishe...15126841?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item20db1df439

http://brewhardware.com/

I would suggest a Concord 60 quart kettle, same or very similar to a Spike kettle w/out welded ports. The 60 qt was available on ebay predrilled, I'm guessing it is out of stock at the moment, perhaps inquire to the seller? Or just get a kettle and drill it yourself if you have the DIY tools / skills.

Bobby M. at brew hardware has all the accessories you could possibly need, ball valves, thermometers, sight glasses etc.

I would not bother with a sight glass or a kettle monted thermometer, a couple simple marks on your brewing spoon, such as preboil volume, and total water required is all you really need for BIAB. A hand held thermometer is simple and easier to check several spots within the kettle quickly.

Easy to make a bag if you have any sewing skills, feel free to PM me if you have any bagmaking questions and I will try and help....
cheers!
wilser

Lots of good info in this thread.

I went with a 15 gallon sightglass Spike kettle and absolutely love it. I wanted something with a valve (sick of siphoning) and was able to pick up the Spike kettle on sale (July 4th sale) for not that much more than it would have cost me to get a similar weldless set up. I did splurge a little bit because it was also a bit of a present to myself for landing a new job after working at company I hated for 3 years. I went with the sightglass kettle because I like having a sightglass (although as others have said a dowel with marks will work equally well), and if I ever move to a 3 vessel system it will be more important.

As someone else said, don't fret too much over the analog thermometers, they're all not very accurate (but good enough for our purposes). A higher quality digital thermometer is something to consider down the line. That being said, I got my thermometer from somewhere other than Spike because (at the time, not sure if this is still the case) he only offered thermometers with 5" stems. I wanted a shorter stem to avoid it potentially ripping or interfering with my BIAB bag.

I'd forget the sight glass and thermometer and go with a really cheap pot. Why? Because you need only to know the initial amount of water you put in the pot for BIAB and you can easily measure that with a tape measure and calculate the volume. Since you will be only heating a relatively thin liquid, the bottom of the pot won't matter much, the liquid will circulate to keep you from getting "hot spots". The thermometer is the most critical part of all grain brewing because the temperature of the mash determines the fermentability of the wort and being off by 3 or 4 degrees is critical. A high quality thermometer as you reach strike temp is necessary but once you have that temp, the thermometer can be put away. It doesn't help to have a "sort of accurate" thermometer in the pot at all times and the probe can tear the bag when you try to remove it.

Put the money you save toward the high quality thermometer and more grains. The thermometer will determine the quality of your brew, the grains is what make beer.

+1 buy an aluminum pot and put the savings to a thermopen and grains.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

+1 buy an aluminum pot and put the savings to a thermopen and grains.

I like aluminum pots, I have several. I just hate to overpay for aluminum if stainless is not much more....

A 4mm basic 60 qt aluminum pot goes for 60-70 bucks, plus say another 15 for a lid, so if you figure 75-85 bucks. Stainless is only $96 and will clean up like new with 25 cents of Bar Keepers Friend after a years worth of hard use...I guess it is cosmetic, but don't that stainless look nice...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-60-QT-Q.../190894701818?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c7235fcfa

A got a cheap 15 gallon aluminum tamale pot at a local grocery chain for $25 on sale (regularly $35-40 :) ) . I haven't tried to drill it for fittings yet because it won't fit under the microhood :O

Sent from my N800 using Home Brew mobile app

Thick commercial 15 gallon AL kettles run about $70 on ebay or amazon.
These are also easy to modify to add valves, sight glass, heating element, etc.

another vote for concord 60qt ebay pot and buying fittings of you liking from bobby or bargain fittings.

The concord seem to have a decent height ratio and seem like a decent front runner.... any one you know of have a quality issues with a concord pot?

The concord seem to have a decent height ratio and seem like a decent front runner.... any one you know of have a quality issues with a concord pot?

Honestly, I have none! I love the kettles! Purchasing many add ons to make the kettle tailored to my preference is awesome. Going DIY saves ALOT of $$ in the end. I purchased an 80quart stainless a year ago from them, and Im picking up two more tomorrow actually! I can take some pictures of the quality of the pots for you when I pick it up tomorrow if you would like... :mug:

Take a look at the Update International SS pots. Industrial quality w/ a tri-clad bottom. Heats up quickly & holds heat very well. It's easy to add weldless fittings of your choice. I started w/ the 6 gal, now have 8 gals, & I'm upgrading to their 15 gal next week.
The dimensions are well thought out, too. They don't just make it taller to add volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I went with the 15 Gallon from Spike with the 3 couplers and love it. Have been using this for my boil kettle with igloo cooler for mash but plan on getting another 15 from Spike for my MT so I can look at switching over to electric brewery

Homebrewstuff.com has the tri-clad 1.2mm SS 15 gal with valve and thermomter discoutned to 189.99 due to some cosmetic issues on the welds, guaranteed not to leak. Picture appears to be the same ones I bought from morebeer for a lot more. I ordered one to give it a go, I weld so I've not got much to lose. They also have them listed on ebay for the same price. If it is the same style/brand, they are HD and worth every penny. They ship to my FPO address so that's a plus. You should be glad you don't have to deal with that, it can double the price of grains and heavy ****.

I have the 42qt and it gives me No problems for 5 gallon batches.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

I would check out Northern Brewer, I have a 15 gallon MegaPot and I love it. I've only used it a couple time but I haven't had any issue with it. It doesn't have a sight glass but it does have measurement lines on the inside of the pot. I got the Blichmann Brewmometer and a quarter turn ball valve. I love it!

I think I have settled on the concord pot. Seems to be very similar to the spike pot and I am able to start with a ball valve, and then add more accessories if needed down the line. Thanks to everyone who gave great suggestions.

I just upgraded my kettle. I went with the concord 60 qt. showed up today. Very solid pot for spending $67 plus shipping on ebay. I tossed around the bayou classic and spike brewing but all seemed really expensive and had their pros and cons. I found a unibit( step bit) on Ebay for $12 shipped and I will be installing a weld less bulk head with a 90 degree elbow on inside for a pick up. I also just bought a solid brew bag, hop bag and ratchet pulley from wilsonbrewer that should be here soon. I am seriously debating to take the plunge and buy a chugger pump kit that looks pretty legit and a counter flow chiller. Seen a couple chillers online but not sure which one to get. I attached some links. Not to jack this thread but some good info so far. I may also have to upgrade my burner. This pot rocks for the $$$. I started brewing 1 year ago and have made over 15-5 gallon batches, built a bar, bought a kegerator and ferm fridge with stc-1000 controller. I fell hard. ;) hope this info helps. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393890214.757397.jpg

http://brewhardware.com/pumps/160-addapump

http://biabbags.webs.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D50LO8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Seem like a good price. Any one have one of these to atest to the quality of the pot?

The biggest draw of the concord pot was price vs quality. It has a reputation of high quality and a low price.

Those pots seem ok but are out of stock. Says may have scratches and dents plus quality of lid is not good. I would go with concord but depends on your budget.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 15gal spikes. I cant justify the extra money for the sight glass but to have the welded fittings done I cant beat it. Besides their reviews are great.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 15gal spikes. I cant justify the extra money for the sight glass but to have the welded fittings done I cant beat it. Besides their reviews are great.

If you want or require welded ports, Spike is a nice pot for the money. If you can live with weld less like the Blichmann owners do, then the Concord offers great value. That's the difference b/w the two.
Cheers!

+1 wilserbrewer. Your basically paying for the same pot with a very expensive weld. You could use that extra cash for more equipment. Then go buy a bag from wilserbrewer. Check Brew Hardware or Bargain fittings. Brew hardware sells the step bit you need for like $12. Easy!

Have you considered the Wincoware pots? They seem to be higher quality than the Concord pots.

I like the height ratio better on the concord, and the price. I haven't seen any complaints about this pot, or with the spike pot that look to be the exact same kettle.

Just bought the spikes 15 gal with the two horizontal welded fittings and analog thermometer, ball valve and 1.2 threaded nipple. 263$ shipped. Now that takes the weldless fittings for me to F up out of play.

Just got a 15g concord monster yesterday (100$) and have 30$ of valves/elbows coming to me from bargain fittings. Great price for a good DYI pot. The bottom is a bit thinner than the sides but otherwise looks great for the price!

Here's my Concord 15 gallon kettle with the valves hooked up. Installed a high port whirlpool tube as well. Great bang for your buck! Can't wait to use it. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395447050.111634.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395447076.204074.jpg

I would have bought the Spike 15 but they said it was not induction capable so I bought the Bayou Classic 16.

Back