Spliting Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Does anyone use anything, such as a Tee Fitting or a WYE (like the images below) to split the tubing coming out of the kettle?

I'm wondering if you have a single tube droping from the kettle spigot, splitting with something like these, then with separate tubes going into two separate carboys at the same time, will the wort split evenly between the two carboys? Or, will the wort tend to go mostly out one side of the split and not as much out the other side, kind of like that chaos theory drop of water thing on Jurassic Park?

View attachment ScreenShot007.bmp

View attachment ScreenShot008.bmp

Good idea. I do worry about both fermenters getting an EQUAL mixture. I do 11 gal batches and when I'm filling the 2 carboys while pumping, I'll put like 2 gal in one, then 2 gal in the other one and keep on doing that until they are filled the same. However, the last gallon or so to top off the last carboy always gets some crap from the boil kettle. I do whirpool and leave a 1/2 gal behind. They never look the same side by side. Never thought of your idea, and will give it a try next brew day. It should be FASTER too!

BTW I think I would use that whye, rather than the "T". I think you would get more of an equal flow outa that whye fitting.:mug:

Good idea. I do worry about both fermenters getting an EQUAL mixture. I do 11 gal batches and when I'm filling the 2 carboys while pumping, I'll put like 2 gal in one, then 2 gal in the other one and keep on doing that until they are filled the same. However, the last gallon or so to top off the last carboy always gets some crap from the boil kettle. I do whirpool and leave a 1/2 gal behind. They never look the same side by side. Never thought of your idea, and will give it a try next brew day. It should be FASTER too!

BTW I think I would use that whye, rather than the "T". I think you would get more of an equal flow outa that whye fitting.:mug:

If you do try it next brew day, let me know how it goes.

Sorry to say I did NOT yet, too much other life things such as being grandparents again. it is on my list.will let ya know
!

Hey, congrats on being new grandparents again! My wife and I had our first three months ago. First grandchild on both sides.

Hey, congrats on being new grandparents again! My wife and I had our first three months ago. First grandchild on both sides.

Well thank you TAK, It is "ALMOST" better than brewing.......NOT !!! It IS LOL, 2 granddaughters 1 year apart. Priceless But I will get to my next batch and give it a try!

Congrats on yours !

Back