Mosaic Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPORT546

Reaction score
I've used this grain bill several times with one variation. Usually it is 8oz of 80L. I just want to use up the 3oz of 40L I have laying around. I use the bill to showcase various hops that I've never used before. I've never used the mosaic hops before and am primarily looking for comments in that area. I have used the Chinook as my bittering hop for both my Athanum PA and my Zythos PA that have shared this common grain bill. Notty has also been my yeast for all past beers on this project.

Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.2 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 21.2 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.6 %
3.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %

1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 5 42.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 0.0 mi Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 10. Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I think it looks good other than you are using more Vienna than I might (and I like malt in pale ales). But, you said you've used the grain bill before - your crystal looks fine to me. The Mosaic is pretty interesting to me and I just kegged a pale ales that used Galaxy and Mosaic for the hops. The uncarbed sample had a prominent grapefruit flavor and that really surprised me. Everyone seems to feel Mosaic adds a tropical or stone fruit flavor/aroma. It could be from the Galaxy hops I used but I weighted the flavor and aroma hops (and dry hops) toward Mosaic.

Let us know how yours turns out. I can update you on mine in a couple of weeks too.

Mosaic as a 60 minute addition can have a funky BO aroma / flavor. I don't know if using it as first wort addition instead would make a difference, but I only use mosaic as a whirlpool or dry hop addition.

Mosaic as a 60 minute addition can have a funky BO aroma / flavor. I don't know if using it as first wort addition instead would make a difference, but I only use mosaic as a whirlpool or dry hop addition.

I haven't used Mosaic, but if this is an issue, OP, why not use something relatively neutral for the bittering charge like Magnum?

Good to know thank you. I've got plenty of options in the freezer for something else. I forgot I changed that honestly, guess that's what happens when you have a few homebrews and fiddle with a recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I'm going to sub in .75oz of warrior which will put me at 39 ibus for the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Check out my "kitchen sink" thread. Your caramel amount looks tasty, the only thing I would suggest is bittering with something neutral like Magnum. The aroma from dry hopping with mosaic is out of sight. Next time I'll probably incorporate a touch of citra.

I just brewed MMMM IPA (Maris Otter, Munich, Magnum, Mosaic)...kegging this weekend. I'm excited.

Well here is what I have in the freezer at the moment for bittering addition alternatives. I'm not really wanting to hit the lhbs since is on the other side of town.

Cascade
Chinook
Fuggle
EKG
Hallertauer (Courtesy of AB/Inbev's Homebrewer Hop Give Away, you could take home whole hops by the trash bag.)
Mosaic
Mt. Hood
Northern Brewer
Simcoe
Warrior
Willamette

Anyone have any opinions based on this info.

I'd had good success with Warrior in the past. Or chinook, or even cascade for a PA. I also enjoy a ten minute hop addition for my PAs so that if you need to get rid of that extra ounce???

I've used mosaic once before (twice if you're counting the carboy I haven't tasted yet) and they were AMAZING for a change of pace beer. Something too mix things up from the norm. I used a really bland malt bill to really make them pop, Pilsner LME that I had laying around and a bit of C60. That said, I like you're grain bill and make a pretty similar house PA as well.

Well here is what I have in the freezer at the moment for bittering addition alternatives. I'm not really wanting to hit the lhbs since is on the other side of town.

Cascade
Chinook
Fuggle
EKG
Hallertauer (Courtesy of AB/Inbev's Homebrewer Hop Give Away, you could take home whole hops by the trash bag.)
Mosaic
Mt. Hood
Northern Brewer
Simcoe
Warrior
Willamette

Anyone have any opinions based on this info.

If you have the room, split your brew day up over the course of a week. Do a few mini batches with different bittering charges in each batch.

Sure, you'd have to bottle instead of keg, but then you'd really get to narrow in on what YOUR taste buds like.

My .02

I use chinook as my main bittering hop for my IPA, just wanting to change it up here is what I am thinking now.

Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.2 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 21.2 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.6 %
3.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 26.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 10.0 m Hop 6 15.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 0.0 mi Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 10. Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

A grain bill similar to mine, which I've used with Mosaic and Galaxy. This is for a 5.5G batch:

10.5 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Vienna Malt
12.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

I'm fermenting my first AG batch right now. I wanted to keep it simple and do a SMaSH beer so one of my new friends from my local homebrew club fixed me up a recipe for a Maris Otter/Mosaic IPA. (Thinking of naming it MOMo)

5 Gallons | OG: 1.052 | 64 IBUs | Fermented @ 60F SafeAle US-05

100% | Hugh Baird Maris Otter
60-Min Mash | 152F

100% | 60-Min Boil | Mosaic Hops 11.6% AA
60-Min | 0.75 oz
30-Min | 0.50 oz
10-Min | 2.75 oz
Dry | 2.00 oz

I altered the hop schedule slightly and did 1.75oz at 10 minutes and 1oz at flameout.
It's been in primary for 6 days now. The airlock smells !#@*ing amazing.

Back