Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Maris Otter Surprise

Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
skitter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Maris Otter Surprise

I was kinda disappointed at the fact with my limited budget I could only buy enough Maris Otter for 1 batch, I didn't think it was anything special to be had so I balked at the $.50 increase over 2 row. I did go with my gut and bought the recipe ingredients for my MO SMaSH rather than Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops.

1) Holy shnikey there was a ton of trub, I didn't whirlpool cause up to this point I havn't needed to. I used 5lb for a 2.5g batch. This was mistake #1

2) After 2 weeks in the fermenter I was transferring it into the bottling bucket and notices that I still had so much trub that my Mr. Beer keg, with the spigot as low as it was, was pulling a fair amount of the trub along with it. Mistake #2 was that each bottle had a little bit of protien break trub, and the last bottle is almost all trub.

3) I also noticed when transferring to the bottling bucket that I still had yeast that hadn't died off yet, so it was still working on the beer when I bottled it.

Hoping that I don't get bottle bombs, knowing that I will have to keep more than 1/4in of beer in the bottle to keep the junk out, and realizing if I keep doing all-grain I really need to whirlpool...

I tasted one today, and while it is only 1 day after bottling it actually tastes remarkably good. You can tell it's green, and you also get a flavor profile that tastes "meaty" from the various bits of stuff that was still floating around in suspension. At least that's what I assumed it was from. I am going to try another batch exactly the same with whirlpool this time to see how much the protein break affected the flavor vs. how much was the Maris Otter itself.

I have no idea how efficient I was, I still don't own a hydrometer for my BIAB batches so I'm kinda winging it and hoping everything is working as directed.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
MedicMang
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 22

A lot of what you are talking about can be remedied by letting it sit longer during fermentation to have stuff drop out. How long did you ferment before your transfers?

boscobeans Likes This 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
skitter
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 74

2 weeks as mentioned before, thie one may have needed 3 as there was still yeast on the surface I discovered afer I started transferring

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
dkmitg
Recipes 

From everything that I have read on Smash beers Marris otter and golden promise seem to be the best base malt that you can use for a strong malt profile and all around solid beer. I just brewed what I guess would be a czech pilsener but without the lager yeast, so maybe just a pale ale?

recipe

12lbs Marris otter
FWH saaz 2 oz
45 min saaz 1 oz
flameout saaz 1 oz

yeast saf 05
71% efficiency